"Do not get cheeky now," I warn. "I am still angry with you." I sigh. "But we will be able to get over this." Benedict smiles. "If you follow through on your promise and do not drink that tea anymore."

"You have my word," Benedict assures.

"And if you break it this time," I warn. "You will not have to worry about a third time because you will never see me again."

Benedict nods. "Understood."

Since Benedict and I have worked through our issue we are once again visiting at the Bridgerton house.

"The invitations are ready to be distributed, ma'am," Mrs Wilson tells Lady Bridgerton.

"Oh, excellent, Mrs. Wilson. Oh, dear little Augie is still suffering from his cough, so the duchess will naturally not be able to attend. But that is precisely why it is so important that the rest of us embrace this theme of harmony..." Lady Bridgerton starts. Hyacinth stops playing the pianoforte at that exact moment. "...and work together to impress our guests. If we garner enough support, the queen may even be swayed to forget all about this wedding business."

Hyacinth begins to play once more.

Eloise moves to open a window. "It is positively suffocating in here."

"Eloise, dear? Are you feeling unwell?" Lady Bridgerton asks.

"Do not fret, Mama. I'll still be in attendance at your ball," Eloise assures.

"Participating in this farce along with the rest of us," Anthony states.

"I am doing this for all of us," Lady Bridgerton says.

"Perhaps there is still time to change your theme," Benedict offers.

"Has there truly been no Whistledown delivery today?" Eloise asks.

"Good day, Bridgertons," Penelope greets as she walks through the door.

Eloise rushes to grab hold of Penelope's arm and drag her from the room.

What is it about betrayal that excites us so? The ton itself has certainly felt its peculiar kind of frenzy after the promise of the wedding to end all weddings was broken. Yet this author has it on very good authority that the viscount's failed nuptials may not be the only betrayal our dear Bridgertons must manage at present.

Lady Bridgerton's ball is not at all as expected. As we descend the stairs there is not a single soul there except for the servants and musicians. Lady Danbury looks just as surprised as she walks through the door with the Sharmas.

"Well, this is unexpected," Lady Bridgerton states.

"It is still quite early, I suppose," Lady Mary offers.

A man clears his throat as he walks towards Lady Bridgerton. "Would you still like us to play, my lady?"

"That will not be necessary," Lady Bridgerton tells him.

"If there's no need for my presence, I think my wife and I'll head to my studio," Benedict says as he grabs my hand. "I do not wish to be around such misery all evening."

"Wait," Anthony tells us.

"I know of your opinions, brother," Benedict says.

"You will stay for a dance," Anthony insists. "There shall be dancing. A new perspective, yes?"

"Dancing? With whom?" Colin asks.

"Anthony," Lady Bridgerton says.

"Hyacinth!" Anthony shouts.

"Yes, Brother?" Hyacinth asks as she and Gregory stick their heads over the balcony.

"Come down here and do me the honor," Anthony tells her.

"If she gets to dance, so do I," Gregory insists.

Both Hyacinth and Gregory rush down the stairs to join in the fun.

"Come. Show this dowager the benefit of all these lessons I hear you've been taking, Mr. Bridgerton," Lady Danbury tells Gregory.

"He's much better than me, I'll say," Eloise admits.

"Something lively. A country dance, perhaps?" Anthony tells the musicians. "I believe the theme you have chosen tonight is harmony, Mother."

The music starts and so does the dancing. I must say I have not had this much fun dancing in a long time. It is all laughter and happiness. No care for whom is dancing with whom or what it might mean.

"Perhaps a quadrille?" Hyacinth offers as the song ends.

"Perhaps we should start eating some of that food," Colin offers.

I smile as I drag Benedict towards the many plates of cakes.

"Mrs. Wilson? Is something wrong?" Lady Bridgerton asks.

"It was just delivered, ma'am," Mrs Wilson tells her as she hands Lady Bridgerton a piece of paper.

"Is that Lady Whistledown?" Eloise asks. "Has she published, Mama?"

"Indeed, she has," Lady Bridgerton tells her daughter. "And now we may know why we are the only ones here."

Should our lives be distilled down to the sum total of our choices, then Miss Eloise Bridgerton has certainly made a dangerous, perhaps ruinous one. For she's apparently been associating, unchaperoned, with improper company. Political radicals, in fact. It might be that the young miss spent a great deal of time considering her decisions. Or, perhaps, they were made in haste. Whatever the case may be, we all must remember, as one makes one's bed, so one must lie in it.