"Are these the same vampires that cause the most current Slumber?" I asked.

He made a face. "Most likely. They still haven't given up their agenda." He grimaced. "To think I once wanted something like that."

"Glad you don't anymore."

He smiled. "Let's get you home. It's late."

"Joseph can take me home."

"Please let me take you home."

I bit my lip. "Okay. I'll send Joseph home."

After a quick text, we said good-bye to Violet and Noah. They looked ready to hold Alexander hostage. I couldn't blame them. Vampires weren't safe anyone. In a matter of hours, those officials would become human and there was a lot of things to take care of; the gas attack and the possibility of a new reality.

"I'll be careful," he assured them. "Have a bodyguard follow us but I want to take Rin home."

Violet walked to us and gave me a hug. "Good night." She looked at Alexander. "Don't take any chances."

"I won't."

Ten minutes later, we were on the road with one car in front of us and another car behind us. We took the private road and met little to no traffic.

We didn't speak. I was content on not talking. In the darkness, reality seemed to hit me like a truck. If the public realized vampires could become human, it would be a disaster. Then it would be a matter of time before Alexander's secret was out.

"What's going to happen to those officials?" I asked.

"Hmm? They'll be quarantined most likely and made to sign a NDA. Dr. Daniels will lead the medical examination. Probably wants to compare results. More data means more hope for a reverse serum or something."

"At least we know who's behind this," I said. "They can't hide forever."

"They're definitely pushing towards something," he said. "I doubt it's a good thing."

"Fair enough."

Almost half an hour later, if not more, we were waved into the neighborhood. Alexander slowed to a stop in front of my house. The light in the living room was on.

Unbuckling myself, I kissed Alexander. As I moved to leave, he pulled me back for another kiss then another.

"I have to go eventually," I whispered.

"One of these days you won't," he said.

I smiled. "Yeah. Good-night."

Inside, I found my parents dozing on the couch. I woke them and sent them to their room. I spent time wiping the makeup off with lotion before showering. My legs felt like jelly in the shower. Somehow, I made it to bed.

I slept in the next day. There were many waking moments but I didn't truly wake until almost noon.

Groggily, I searched for my phone. There was a message from Alexander waiting for me.

"Morning, call me when you can."

Frowning, I called him.

"Sleep well?" he asked as a greeting.

"Yeah. Still tired though."

"Same. It's been busy here. Dad, Violet, and Noah held a press conference and the government has sent their agents to investigate."

"Have the officials turn?"

He didn't answer. Then, "they've been quarantined. Dr. Daniel hasn't reported anything."

I bit my nail. Things were not looking good.

"I had you call me for a different reason," he said. "My mom sent us an invitation."

I sat up. "What?"

"Got it this morning."

"When?"

"In a couple of days. I haven't given her a reply yet."

I breathed a sigh of relief. "Okay."

As if on cue, my stomach growled. "I'll let you go. I know you're busy and I'm starving."

He chuckled. "Relax today. After yesterday, you earned it. Bye."

When the call ended, I laid back down. His mom wanted to meet me. What was she like? Would she approve?

My stomach growled again. First things first, I needed food.

A/N

Sorry about the delay. My computer deleted the whole chapter so I had to retype it. Thanks for your patience. FYI I'm still looking for beta readers for the new version of The Vampire Princes goes to High School.