THE DEVIL YOU KNOW

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

Murderers are not monsters; they're men. And that's the most frightening thing about them.

—Alice Sebold

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

Melanie stares unseeingly at the dark purple and white helmet that lies on a metal shelf across the room.

She had requested the metal shelf from an unused Padawan room; wanting to find a place of honor to have for the clone that had given his life for hers without hesitation.

"Well then, we did good work today... Melanie." Straightshot said, giving her a shy smile.

She grips the wooden pen that she carries tighter between her fingers.

"Melanie, move!" Straightshot barked, tackling her roughly to the—

"Ugh!" Melanie lets out, tossing the wooden pen roughly across the room.

It skids to a stop, a mere foot away from the metal shelf that sits in the corner wall, near the door.

Of course, it doesn't give her the satisfaction of breaking; the brylark tree wood it is made from is far too strong to be broken by a mere throw.

She sighs, looking down at the papers that have been strewn across her bed the past two weeks.

It had been a surprise to find actual papers and pens anywhere in this galaxy. She had went down to the Jedi Archives, taking a shot in the dark as she had asked Madame Jocasta Nu, the Temple's Chief Jedi Librarian, if there had been anything available for her to spare for Melanie to use.

And, to her absolute astonishment, Jocasta had been able to offer the material easily to her.

Jocasta had grinned as she had handed over the crate full of materials to her. "Do not feel shy over the request, my dear! Just between you and me, I quite like the feel of paper as well. It amazes me to this day that it ever could have gone out of style."

In Jocasta's words, the Jedi Archives were not simply for information on The Force.

No; instead, the Jedi Archives were meant to hold many types of information and 'antiques' throughout the galaxy.

The Jedi Temple, sans the Holocron Vault, has actually always been open to the Coruscanti population for use. It is meant to be a well of knowledge, after all.