Chapter Twelve, Similar Feelings

My eyes darted around the room as I bolted up, beads of sweat still rolling off of me. I breathed quickly before taking in my surroundings, calming myself down. I was home, I was safe. I looked to my left, the familiar shape laying on my bed, claiming it as his own. It's been days since I've met him, or really this side of him. I started to think back to myself, trying to desperately forget the nightmare I just had.

It was only working a little bit.

I stood up shakily, my eyes not needing to adjust to the dark. I took a few steps before turning around, looking back at the shape.

He was tossing and turning, his face held fear in its deepest corners. He had a pinkish hue to him, like his corrupted side would take over at any moment. It wasn't the first time I've woken up and saw he was having a night terror too. Waking him up would be dangerous, since he could injure me or himself further.

I turned again, facing my door. I opened it, being blinded by the hallway light. I blinked a couple times before finally stepping out into it, and turning to the hallway. I snuck down the stairs, trying not to make much noise. I needed a drink to clear my mind from the nightmare.

I made my way into the kitchen, going up to the fridge. I opened it, grabbing something from the back. It was ice cold. I couldn't be bothered to really think about it, I just knew it was something I loved drinking.

I poured it and sat at the kitchen table, my head in my hands. The dream felt like it was still in the back of my mind, taunting me. Unfortunately, this was not the first, and probably wouldn't be the last I saw the dream happen. I breathed deep, calming myself down. The drink was sweet enough for me to forget, the ticking clock on the wall washing away any semblance of memory of it. It all felt like a blur, and I couldn't complain. I looked up, finishing whatever I was drinking.

I stood up, yawning. I wanted sleep more than ever. I started going back upstairs, the only sounds I could hear was the ticking clock, and the occasional wind hitting the house. It was silent besides that, and eerily so. Something felt wrong.

A part of me hoped I wasn't in another nightmare, and just felt like I was awake.

I crept up to my door, the feeling of dread continuing, eating away at any confidence and calm I had. I tried to shake the feeling, opening my door silently and stepping into my dark room. I couldn't see a thing, my eyes taking a moment to adjust. When I could, I saw something. A shape, curled up on the ground. I paused, trying to figure out what I was looking at. My brain quickly went to Cube, however something felt a little off. That's when I noticed the spiky hair. Cubic.

He quickly spun around, fear and confusion in his eyes before turning to aggression.

He rushed at me, created weapon in hand. He threw me to the ground, holding me there, his weapon to my chest. A look of pleasure in his eyes for a second. He rose his hand, readying to slam his sawblades down into my chest and make me just as corrupt as him,

But, something changed.

He froze, his eyes soon looked at me with the same familiarity as I did him.

He pulled away, staring at his own hands, confused, his weapon disappearing. He looked upset, his eyes looked sadder than I had seen them before.

"I-I'm sorry..." he looked away, a sad look in his soft eyes.

"H-Hey... it's okay." I managed to say, a part of me still holding itself back from running and screaming.

He pulled himself off of me, sitting down near me, legs tucked onto his chest. I reached out, touching his shoulder softly. The static electric feeling was strangely calming. He pushed me away, looking off into the darkness, his sadness hurt to see. I've never seen him like this before. I got closer, sitting now next to him.

"I-I hope you don't think I'm scared of you..."

"What..?" He asked, looking back at me.

"I'm not scared of you." I smiled nervously.

He seemed to look at me with suspicion, "Why? I just tried to- You almost-"

"Because you're one of the few corrupts who haven't hurt me on purpose..." I looked away, "I don't think you really wanted to hurt me."

"I- Wait what do you mean by that?" He changed the subject, "Just because I haven't corrupted you yet doesn't mean I wanna be your friend! I- You're just not worth the energy." He said, voice wavering near the end, like he was unsure of what he said.

I looked away, laughing a bit to myself. He sat in silence, and I did too. Neither of us knew where to go from there. I watched as he touched the bandages on his chest, twitching at the pain from his injury. He looked over to me.

"What- What happened to me?"

I looked over to him, smiling gently. "Y-You got hurt. I found you and I had to help you."

"Why?"

"Why what?" I tilted my head.

"Why would you help me when I-" he stopped himself, looking away.

"B-Because I had to, and I care about you." I grinned.

"You... care about me?"

"Yeah!" I looked away, my face heating up.

He then looked away from me, his face flushing a deeper tone than usual. He tried to hide it, but I noticed the small smile he had. I looked away for a second, my face feeling warmer just seeing him. I looked to him again, standing up and walking over to his curled up form. He looked up at me, confused.

"What are you-?" He started.

I cut him off by picking him up, carrying him in my arms and back towards what was my bed. I felt him start struggling as I sat him back down, trying to keep him there.

"W-What the hell are you doing?" He half yelled.

"Keep it down!" I laughed, "I'm just making sure you rest."

"I-No I don't need-"

"Yes, you do." I smiled, "If you don't, how do you think you'll heal?"

"I can walk it off.." he looked away, trying to get up again.

"No, let me help you." I grinned, laughing a bit at this.

He looked away, a bit salty "I- Fine... But you have to let me go..." he growled.

I did, letting him lay there and get comfy. He noticed me staring, his face becoming a deeper color as he turned to face the wall, still a little angry about the situation. I smiled to myself, getting up and going over to the mattress on the ground, laying myself down on it. I felt a strange happiness surrounding me, though it felt more than that, more like a caring feeling. Love. I didn't think too much about it, curling up.

I felt the dreams take me once more, the darkness creeping into my brain.

It felt peaceful this time.