Chapter 6: Just... Hanging

Start from the beginning

Armin was walking, reconstructing his mind when a voice overpowered his thoughts. Mindlessly, he turned to the voice behind him. It was Jean talking to Christa, more like laughing.

"Yeah, anytime Jean." Christa said sweetly with that charming smile she always had. Armin cringed at the sight. He wanted to know what they were talking about really badly but he felt he would be mistaken as eavesdropping. He thought for a moment, walking on the provided pathway, and decided to talk to them. After all, to get closer to Jean, you need to communicate. He walked over to them, who were a little behind him, and smiled brightly at Christa. Christa smiled as well.

"Hey Armin." Christa acknowledged with one side hug. Armin wrapped his left arm around her and hugged her too.

"Hey Christa. Hi Jean."

"We were just talking about getting lunch after this. We are deciding between Johnny Rockets and Panda Express, which do you think?"

Armin thought for a moment, finally realizing the obvious answer: "Let's go to Johnny Rockets."

After the long walk and gathering all their things, Christa, Armin, and Jean all headed to Johnny Rockets. On the ride there, Christa got a text on her phone. She pulled her phone from her pocket and read the message, giggling slightly. Armin, who was driving, glanced over at the phone during a stoplight, trying to see what Christa was so intrigued with.

"Who you texting?" Armin asked with curiosity tugging on him. Christa zipped her thumbs across the keyboard fast, then smiled brightly at Armin.

"Oh just your boyfriend asking if he could bring Marco along. And may I add, his best friend since elementary. No biggie."

Armin gulped down hard on nothing and looked Christa in the eyes.

"M-Marco? You mean broaden shoulders, cute and freckled face Marco?" Oh the competition was definitely easy to depict who would win. Christa nodded, a hint of a smirk growing.

"Yes, Marco. And you better play nice." Teasing Armin was probably the most amusing thing in the world. First off, Marco didn't like Jean, and Jean certainly didn't like Marco. Secondly, Marco was currently in an relationship with someone else. Sadly, Armin did not know that. She felt somewhat bad, but she knew he couldn't hate her forever.

"Whatever, I really don't care." The blush on Armin's cheek spoke otherwise, and Armin knew that. "I'll just avoid them, is all."

The grip on the steering wheel was tightened and for some reason, Armin was still smiling rather happily. Christa could tell Armin was fighting with his mind, and it was rather funny. She wanted to continue the prank, just a little longer.

"Okay well the Johnny Rockets is up ahead. Jean is picking up Marco so we can head inside and start ordering,"

"Mkay."

After ordering their food, and ordering Jean and Marco's, Armin and Christa chose a seat right outside the front entrance. A few minutes passed, and a nice perky girl with extremely long blond hair came out with a couple of trays of food. She looked around for a couple seconds and started calling out their number.

"24? 24!" She said with her high pitched voice. Armin shot his hand in the air and skittishly answered: "H-Here!"

The lady looked over her shoulder and smiled sweetly. She walked over and placed the tray down on the table.

"Here you go ma'm."

Armin's eyes widened and Christa started to giggle. "I-I'm not a girl...."

The girl looked confused at first but soon after realized her mistake and covered her mouth with a slight gasp. "Oh my god! I am so sorry sir!"

Armin waved her away. "It's okay, you aren't the first."

The girl stayed in that position for a couple more seconds before she apologized one last time and headed inside. Right after she had entered, Jean and Marco came out from their truck. Jean changed from his athletic outfit to just a black tang top and navy blue skinny jeans. Marco was dressed somewhat similar but instead he wore a flannel over his tang top and black skinny jeans. They both waved and Christa waved back.

"Hi guys! Come join us!" Christa called to them. Jean whispered something in Marco's ear and Marco nodded. They sat down soon after.

"Hi guys." Marco said happily, along with a subtle wave. God he's so perfect. Armin thought to himself as he stared Marco down. Everything about him was just perfect; his movement, his laughter, his structure. It wasn't hard to believe that Jean didn't like him. Maybe Christa was right, maybe all those years of being childhood friends made them into something more.

Sighing in defeat, Armin started to munch down on his chicken tenders. Most of the conversation was Jean, Christa, and of coarse Marco talking. Armin just didn't feel in the mood to talk. He was having serious "me" time.

When most of the food was finished and Marco was throwing away his leftovers, the same girl from before came back out with a smoothie in her hand. She looked over at the table where Armin was and when she saw them, she walked over with a smile.

"I am so sorry for everything before. Please have this as a 'I'm sorry.'" She handed Armin the drink quickly and walked away once again. Armin didn't even have time to answer. He just opened his mouth slightly and sat there. He looked down at his vanilla smoothie, also smothered in a few deep layers of whip cream.

"Does anyone want this?" Armin asked the group and they shook their head.

"What was that about anyway?" Jean questioned with raised eyebrows. "Does she like you?"

Armin shook his head. "N-No.... She had mistaken me as a girl earlier when you were heading over. I guess she felt bad."

"You don't look like a girl to me." Marco said. From his seat across the table, he moved a little closer to examine Armin's face at a uncomfortable distance. "Yeah, you look pretty masculine to me."

"Thanks Marco." Armin mumbled before taking a gulp of his smoothie. He pulled the straw from his mouth and let out a breathy sigh. "It doesn't really matter, does it?"

The group shook their head no again and Christa mumbled a "Nuh uh" in response.

"Can we just go?" Yeah, he knew he was being a killjoy, but what was he supposed to do? It just wasn't his day and all he wanted to do was go home and take a long ass nap. The group, after exchanging glances at each other, nodded their head and started to pick up their stuff.

Armin sat in the passenger seat, waiting for Christa to end her conversation with Jean outside. For some reason, his head started to pound and his heart felt like bursting into pieces. His head felt feverish and his throat felt parched. Christa, saying her last goodbyes, finally walked the back side of the car and entered the vehicle.

"Ready to go Armin?" She asked while inserting the keys into the ignition. Armin nodded once before he felt his body doze off into a tireless slumber.