Of course, Peter did. He was a traitor. "She is not my anything," Jem snapped at Claire. "And you would do well not to call me 'Jemmy' in front of her, or baby me, or anything else!" Nobody knew what a fool he had made of himself at the assembly, and he would be truly grieved if his family made him appear to be an even greater fool.

Jem felt the need to take back his relief at seeing the familiar faces of his family.

Peter seemed to sense Jem's embarrassment. "Relax, Jem," he urged. "Your family will all be on their best behaviour. Though I would like to have it pointed out that upon my first encounter with Belle at Ashwood, you sat there laughing at my every folly from across the table."

"That was different!" Jem said exasperatedly.

"How so?"

"That was you and this is me!" he retorted.

Jack burst out laughing and Peter grinned.

Belle rubbed Peter's arm as she said, "I have seen Miss Martin a few times since she has arrived in London. I sense she is not happy to be here. I believe her to be sad even. Her mama seems to be the one who is most excited for her debut. I am certain that if you are sensitive to Miss Martin's feelings this evening that you will renew your acquaintance most successfully."

From what Jem had heard from Cecily, Cressie's dynamic between herself and her mother was not at all foreign in London. But thinking back to their conversation, he wondered if she would rather be swimming than dancing. He would certainly endeavour to be sensitive. "You are my favourite sister," Jem told Belle sincerely, "after Grace, of course."

Belle giggled as Peter slapped Jem on the arm. "You know you have us all as allies this evening, Jem."

"We cannot help but tease our youngest brother," added Claire, "but you know I wish you everything that we have managed to find."

"I might blush," Jack teased his wife, leaning in to kiss her temple.

"Jack! Claire!" Cecily voice called from the door of the ballroom as she walked in with the confidence and purpose of a queen. "And you have brought Peter and dear Belle with you also. Welcome!"

Jack separated from Claire briefly to receive his mother. Cecily received his kiss on the cheek warmly, as she looked around them expectantly.

"Where are my granddaughters?" she demanded to know with a frown on her face.

"Oh, well you know our two," Jack sighed, shaking his head with disappointment. "Jackie's drunk and passed out in her bedroom and Maria is at White's playing cards. She may be only nearing one, but her talent at the tables is to be revered. I am as disappointed as you are, Mother, but what are we to do?"

Cecily pressed her lips together firmly as Peter did his best to stifle a laugh. Claire rolled her eyes, but there was a hint of a smile in her eyes.

"They are at home in bed, Your Grace," Claire interjected, "but you are most welcome to join us tomorrow for luncheon. They will be most excited to see their grandmamma, Jackie especially."

"Claire's in denial, Mother," complained Jack. "She can't control the drunkard or the gambler any more than I can."

"Sarcasm rarely passes as wit, Jack Beresford," Cecily quipped.

"Oh, Mother, I heartily disagree." Jack grinned wickedly.

Cecily shook her head. "Thank you, Claire. I should very much like to join you. I hate to think how my girls have changed since I saw them last. Have I told you what I have decided on as a birthday gift to myself for this year?" she asked Claire as she stepped forward to claim her arm.