Chapter 5

2-month time jump

Chapter 5

Iris POV

Things at home had been horrible these past two months. Mum and dad have been coddling and favoring me constantly, Lily has been trying to get me to talk to her for ages and school was out, so I was officially stuck. I know that the first one sounds great, but it isn't, not when you know that it is all fake,

At least it has been fun hanging out with Petunia. The one family member that I can actually tolerate and not want to stab a fork into my hand when I am near them. The only problem with that is that I haven't really gotten to do anything particularly exciting since Tuney is practically allergic to anything moderately dangerous, in other words, fun.

Only today that is going to change. We are going rollerblading! It took me forever to convince Petunia to come but she could exactly say no probably because it is my birthday, and I used that fact as blackmail. I was changing out of my pajamas when I heard a knock on my door. "Enter" I shouted, pulling on my last item of clothing. Mum stalked in, holding a large tray of cookies and milk. "Happy Birthday my little dove", she chirped.

I rolled my eyes...well, in my head I did anyway out loud all I did was smile politely and take the tray from her. I picked up a cookie from the platter and set the rest down on my freshly made bed. Mother seemed content with that brief exchange, so she nodded her head and took her to leave, of course not bothering to close the door behind her. I sighed in this content and did it for her. Probably slamming it a bit hard than normal. Not that it mattered either way as five seconds later the door was barged open, but this time at least more pleasant company walked in.

Petunia stood in the doorway holding a large package with holes that seemed to be... moving. She set the door down on the bed and waved her hand at the shivering box. I gave her a slightly questioning look but processed to lift the lid of the package. I gasped. Inside was the tiniest and most adorable black kitten. I immediately scooped them up into my arms. I looked at Petunia and all she did was smile.

"It's a girl you know". I nodded. I had always found it quite easy to tell the sex of most animals that I came across. "Why," I asked, curious of her sudden generosity, she sniffled. "Today is the big day, you are getting your letter today and, in a month, you will finally be out of my reach", Tuney said, tears beginning to form in her eyes. I gently put the still-unnamed ball of fluff on my bed and embraced my sister in a hug. "I would pretend that I am not excited to go but you would know was lying so it would be of no use".

She cracked a watery smile and I continued. "I always knew I didn't truly belong here and now I know why, and I am so happy about that but know that no one in this whole world could replace you". Her smile grew in acknowledgment, she knew that this was coming. "Iris, my dear sister, I know but it still hurt, and I am sorry but nothing you say is going to fix that", she replied. I realized this too but it's worth a shot. I squeezed her tighter.

Petunia pulled away from me and instead grabbed the kitten that was sitting patiently waiting for attention. "Okay, okay, enough sappy stuff what are you gonna call this little cutie". I giggled at her words and took the kitten from her hands. That's when I noticed her eyes, they were two colors, one blue and one green. She was utterly beautiful. Her coat of fur was the darkest of blacks and her eyes made her even more special.

"Nyx, her name is Nyx." I don't know exactly how I thought of it but it was perfect for her. Petunia snorted. "Leave it up to you to come up with the weirdest name possible", she said with a cheery tone. "Hey! Don't insult her, she is sensitive" I retorted. I don't think that the cat cares very much about what I think of her name", she replied to my comment. "I wasn't talking about Nyx I was talking about me!"