Chapter 39: Reunion

Start from the beginning

"What?! Oh no no no no no!" I squeak, pointing at Jonathan over my shoulder. "He's just a friend, trust me." I see Jonathan give me a expression I can't interpret but push the thought away. "So, where is Frisk and Toriel?" 

"T-there h-h-heading b-back t-t-this w-way f-from a-a t-t-theme p-park,"  Alphys replies. Her phone dings. "E-e-everyone, q-quickly! T-t-turn t-the l-lights o-out, t-they're c-c-coming!" The lights turn out and I grab Jonathans hands, hiding us behind the couch. We hear a door creak open and footsteps travel down the hallway into the front of the living room. The lights turn on immediately.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY FRISK!" everyone shouts altogether. Frisk face lights up in and they run over to Papyrus, him putting Frisk on his shoulder. I smile myself, the party beginning. We all grab snacks and start to chat. I grab a cup of fruit punch and talk to a few other monsters along with Jonathan. 

"Hey Johnny boy, you still got that guys number?" I tease, smirking. 

"No, I threw it away!" he fumes, flushed. I laugh.

"Yeah right---" I stop midsentence, seeing a familiar figure from afar approaching. My muscles tense up and I avert my eyes, turning my heel. "Hey Jonathan, I'm going to, uh, take a breath of fresh air outside!"

"Okay..." he replies. I quickly move through the crowd and out into the hallway, pacing myself outside. I close the door behind me and look both ways, finding myself out of breath. I grip at my shirt, feeling a hurtful pang in my chest, anxiety overflowing. I crouch down, holding my head in my lap with crossed arms. 

"Calm down, calm down, there's nothing wrong. You're fine, no need to get upset. You're strong, act like it," I talk to myself, my breath slowing down in a span of minutes. "Hah, okay! You got this!" I stand up, my hands in fists of determination. I turn my heel and see a standing skeleton from afar beside me. "Ah! What the hell!?!!" I jump back in fight stance. G smokes a cigarette, blowing out the poisonous fume into the air and turns his head towards me with a lazy gaze.   

"G! Um, I didn't see you there!" I compose myself and laugh awkwardly, scratching the back of my head. "So, uh, how long have you been there?" He sighs, averting his eyes. 

"Long enough and nice to see you again too," he replies nonchalantly, voice cold as ice. "So, how have things been? I want to know."  

"Good I guess," I gulp, rubbing my arm. "But, I know that's probably not what you want to talk to me about, is it?"  G sighs.

"Fine, I'll get straight to the point then. What are you doing with him?" 

"Jonathan? He's my plus one," I respond. G scoffs taking me aback. 

"Sure he's not your boyfriend?" 

"No, he's not," I grumble, crossing my arms. "What are trying to imply?"

"I don't know, perhaps you decided to find someone else to fill in the gap after you chose to depart from me?" he sneers. I couldn't believe the way he was talking to me, he's never talked to me like this before. I shift my weight to one leg sassily. 

"Excuse me?! I didn't become friends with Jonathan to fill in the gap of your replacement, it just happened!" 

"Yeah, because he's a human," G snaps, flicking his cigarette out of his hand and stomping it under his boot. 

"It has nothing to do with that!" I retort. He rolls his pinpricks meeting my eyes. 

"Yeah sure," he scoffs, turning his heel. My emotions hit me like a tidal wave. He's just assuming and it's pissing me off!

"No, listen to me!" I grab his wrist and he looks down at me, his expression solemn. "Listen please! It has nothing to do with Jonathan or because he's human! It has everything to do with me being afraid okay!" Tears begin to prick at my eyes as I speak. "I---I was afraid of everything! About what we could become if we were more than friends! I was afraid I wouldn't be good enough for you! I was afraid of my feelings for you! I pushed you away and that wasn't right! I pushed you away because---because I thought you'd be better off without me as would everyone else, but I realized it only hurt you more in the end! And I realized it hurt me too," I explain, tears flowing from my eyes. "So please, don't leave. I don't want to be without you, not again."