Chapter 2

A week went by without nothing special happening, and things went the usual way, though there was one thing that changed in my life, and that was Nishimiya...for some reason, everyday at the end of class I would wait until everyone leaves, and she would wait there with me. At first, I assumed it was because my notes were helping her, but she could ask them from anybody, but no matter the amount of people she 'talked' to, she never asked for their notes.

I'm starting to think that it's her way of making time to talk to me...it's not like she didn't try interact with me during classes or lunch, but she realized the looks that she was getting every time she went close to my person. Of course, she can't listen to the whispers, but she can feel how uncomfortable everybody gets every time she shows me her notebook.

Specially the girls, I could hear them say things like "Why is she talking to that" or "I thought she was deaf, not blind" and stuff like that.

Pretty cruel things...I know it may sound bad, but sometimes I'm glad that Nishimiya is deaf, so she doesn't listen to those things.

Today though, we had choir practice with Kita-sensei, something about a tournament that doesn't really matter if you ask me, obviously, again, they did something stupid.

Putting Nishimiya to sing with everybody.

Why don't you check on her before doing this stuff Sensei?!

I know that you want to be inclusive and not let her feel excluded, but you're just making her have a bad time here! It's obvious she's tone-deaf sensei!

"I'm Kita from 'The Hearing Classroom'" Sensei makes it worse by bringing Nishimiya her in front of the classroom and explaining "Shouko-chan is a little tone-deaf, and it's part of her handi..." she's not a zoo animal sensei...why are you exhibiting her like that?

"What about the choral contest?" "We're ruined"

I can hear some of the girls talking, this is why you shouldn't put her on the spot like that sensei...look, Nishimiya doesn't even know what you're talking about.

"Everyone, can we please work a little harder so that she can join the choir?" Kita-sensei exclaims excited "If you want it, please give her a clap"

Of course, kids will do anything that their teachers tell them to do, so everyone clapped.

I know Kita-sensei has good intentions, but this is definitely a bad idea...if she insist on this, when we (and we most likely will) fail at the stupid contest, all the kids are going to blame Nishimiya for it.

Not saying that they're going to star treating her like they treat me...but her 'Lets all be friends' isn't gonna get better.

After classes ended, we were on clean duty, and by we, I mean Nishimiya and I. She seemed down, and I can't blame her, she's deaf, not stupid...she knows how the choir stuff is going to end if this keeps going.

Having finished sweeping on my side, I look at her.

Damn...well, if I don't know what she actually wants, I better ask her. So, I take out my notebook and write 'Do you want to be in the chorus?'

I waited for her to finish her tasks and show it to her, she looks up to me while biting her bottom lip.

'I want to learn how to sing' she writes.

I look at it for a moment, then look at her. This is not what I asked.

'I can help you with singing, but do you want to be in the chorus?' I think a little more about what I want to say, and write even more 'You know that when we lose, and we will, because our chorus sucks, everybody will blame you, even if you learn how to sing'.