Chapter 13. Ruined Home

Chapter 13
Ruined Home

8 years ago...

Ayaka remembered how her brother had once told her about the onikabutos fights. He had described it as a fun activity he used to do with his friends and healthy competition to determine who was the best. Ayaka didn't understand that part very well because the ones who ended up fighting were the beetles. Ayato had answered that the trick was to have a good eye to choose your champion.

Ayaka didn't fully understand it. But when Kazuha told her that he hadn't played that game before either, they both thought it would be a good opportunity for the two of them to try it out.

There weren't many onikabutos at Kamisato Estate, and they weren't allowed to go out that day. So they had no choice but to settle for the first two they found among the trees in the courtyard. Once they each had their champion, they were placed on the rock in center field. But when they put both insects face to face on the combat ring... nothing happens to the surprise of the two children. The onikabutos stood still in their place. They didn't even seem to even notice each other's presence.

Ayaka and Kazuha waited for several minutes, just sitting there on opposite sides of the rock. After a while, it seemed clear that nothing would happen.

"My brother said this was fun, but..." Ayaka muttered under her breath, a little despondent. She brought her index finger closer to her beetle, running the tip slowly over its back. The little animal hardly took a step forward. "Are we doing something wrong?"

Kazuha wasn't sure either. After all, he was also new to the matter.

"Maybe they don't want to fight because they're friends," Kazuha commented. Ayaka looked up at him, feeling a bit puzzled by the comment.

"Can onikabutos make friends?"

"I wouldn't see why not," Kazuha answered, shrugging. "Animals are just as or more sensitive than us."

Ayaka was surprised to hear that. She hadn't heard that animals could develop such relationships like them. Although she remembered having heard on occasion that the Shuumatsuban, the group of ninjas who served at the head of the Kamisato Clan, had some canines among them that served as more members of their group and fulfilled missions for them. And so were the stories told to her about magical animals like the Tanuki or the Kitsune, although she couldn't know if they applied in the same way.

"Since you put it that way, now it makes me a little sad to want to make them fight," Ayaka muttered, staring at the two scarabs. "It must be horrid to be forced to turn your back on a friend."

"Yes, I agree," Kazuha added, nodding. "Or maybe fighting is also their way of playing. Either one, I guess they're not in the mood to do it right now."

They decided, in the end, to take the two contenders and place them back in the trees. The two stood still right where they were left; one of them barely moved a few centimeters to accommodate itself.

"So, what would you like to do now?" Kazuha asked, turning to his partner.

Ayaka placed a finger on her chin and gazed at the sky, pondering her answer a bit.

"Well..."

Before she answered, she noticed Thoma behind Kazuha, hurrying across the courtyard in their direction. But what most caught little Ayaka's attention was that he didn't come alone; three of his guards were only a few steps behind him.

"Hello, Thoma," Ayaka murmured with a smile, raising a hand in greeting. "We wanted to try the fight with onikabutos that my brother once told me about, but we prefer better not..."