My apprehension was only dispelled when I managed to sit properly on the saddle. Hinintay ko namang umakyat din si Kei pero nanatili lang siya sa tabi ng grim.

"You're not riding with me?" tanong ko.

He smiled in response. "Oh, the grims only like the strongest. I am still not worthy of their trust."

"Wait, don't tell me—"

"Yes, lady. You are riding it alone, but fear not, I will run along with it. Oh, and by the way, perhaps it's a good idea to use your rouska."

Ang dami ko pang gustong sabihin at ireklamo pero nagsimula na siyang maglakad.

"Pat him, lady," he ordered, "and tell him to follow me."

Agad akong sumunod dahil ayaw kong maiwang mag-isa habang nakasakay sa grim. I just pointed at Kei and the grim quietly followed. I also activated my rouska with a minute amount of blood and swiftly bandaged it using the lace on my dress.

We halted in front of the watchtower on the right side of the royal gate as the two assassins guarding it approached us. I instinctively pulled the hood of my rouska down to hide my face.

"Khmer of Abhkim bloodline," he announced. "I am requesting for permission to leave the royal grounds for scouting duties."

The assassins remained quiet, and despite not seeing their faces, I could feel their piercing stares. Nakilala ba nila ako? Maybe I should have put more effort in my disguise. In the first place, I didn't even think this could count as a disguise.

The silence was broken when one of them finally said, "Permitted."

The expansive gate slowly creaked open and I only felt at ease when we were already several meters away.

My shoulders slumped in relief. "I thought we were going to be discovered."

Kei gave me an amused look. "Oh, lady, they knew."

"What?"

"How can they not possibly know? You are the princess, after all."

"But I thought . . ." My words were left hanging in the air as I gripped my rouska. Was this not meant to hide my identity? I suddenly felt stupid.

"We strictly follow orders, lady. However, there are no direct orders on forbidding you to leave the palace or the royal grounds."

Oh, now I get it. I guess he was just testing waters earlier to see if they would not allow me to leave. Sabagay, ako lang naman din ang nag-decide na mag-stay sa palace dahil marami pa akong dapat malaman at matutunan. Besides, the king had yet to announce me as his heir among his constituents. Iyong mga narito lang sa palace ang nakakaalam no'n.

"However," Kei continued, his eyes suddenly gleaming in seriousness. "If by chance, the king learns of this and orders them to retrieve you, they will not be as lenient as before."

I had to swallow the creeping dread in my throat.

Muling napunta ang atensyon ko sa grim dahil nagsimula itong magpapadyak. I could sense its excitement. On the contrary, I was starting to feel anxious again because it might start galloping without notice.

"Seems like he's ready to go," Kei remarked. "Well, then, I need to keep up."

Kei loosened his leather boots and removed a cloth tied around his ankles, covered by paper seals. He dropped both on the ground and my eyes widened upon hearing a loud thump on the ground. Halos mapanganga ako nang magkaroon ng crater sa binagsakan ng mga iyon.

"Are those some kind of ankle weights?"

"Technically, they are limiters, but yes, lady. I may get left behind if I don't use my usual speed."