Letting Go - Chapter 2

It's a very slow chapter

The plane had landed almost 5 minutes ago and I was still sitting in my seat. I wanted to spend the most time possible on the plane.  I knew I was going to have to get off soon but I was dreading it. The man who had been sitting next to me was still here, struggling with his luggage it looked like and now he politely coughed. I looked up at him.

“Hi, I was wondering if you were ok, I mean…well, I saw you crying and no one cries like that for no reason” he said nervously. I could see concern in his eyes.

As I was deciding on “I’m fine, just allergies” with a fake smile or “If I was crying then I’m obviously not ok, either way stay out of it” it poured out. “I’m not fine” I choked out “I left everything behind…everything because of him. I just wanted a fresh start” I whispered. “I just realized what I did and I can’t believe I let it get this bad”. I chuckled sarcastically “Oh the control he has over my life, chasing me away from home.” I had been looking down since I had to speak but now I looked at his face, trying to figure out what he was thinking.

“Teenage problems then?” he asked with a surprised smile.

“Something like that” I answered, trying to return the smile.

“I see, I have a daughter so I know what it’s like dealing with boys. We should really be getting off the plane soon though” he murmured as he quickly sneaked a look behind. The flight attendants were eyeing us suspiciously and whispering amongst themselves.

“Fine” I sighed. It’s not like I had a choice.

“My name is Mr. Matthews” he said as he got my bags down from the compartments. “It’s nice meeting you…”

“Ellie” I quickly said. “Nice meeting you too”

“So Ellie are you better now?” he asked, trying to sound nonchalant.

“Yes, I’m better” I lied.

“That’s good” he replied but his eyes made it seem like he didn’t quite believe me. “Is there anything else that you’ll need?”

“Well I’ve never been here before so can you help me find Dad?” I asked.

“Of course” he said and we walked off the plane.