03.

• • •

what is stronger than the human heart
which shatters over and over
and still lives

-rupi kaur

• • •

"You weren't kidding when you said this place was quiet huh? It's waaay different from being in the big, noisy city."

Laurielle kept up majority of the conversation, as August concentrated on leading the way through South Ridge Trail— she had never hiked a day before in her life, but openness was definitely her forte.

"Mhmm," he replied while clearing the way of fallen branches, and other debris "Be extra careful coming through alright? I wouldn't want you to hurt yourself,"

"I'm sure you've got the entire hospital in your backpack, I'm good."

He slightly rolled his eyes and huffed, "Didn't I say we were going hiking? Yes I did— and you decide to wear freaking crocs, I hate those wonky rubber clown shoes."

"They're very comfortable so,"

"Doesn't matter, they aren't the appropriate shoes to have on while climbing up grassy, rocky hills Lauri."

She purposely annoyed him beings that it brought out some of his personality, his fussing may have been entertaining, but at the end of the day he'd be responsible for her if she were to have an accident.

Nevertheless, their adventure had been sailing smoothly until they reached the more elevated level of the journey— August enjoyed the great outdoors where Mother Nature declared the land as her own.

Wildflowers sprung from amongst the ground as they danced in the breeze; Vibrant shades of blue, yellow, and red covered the plains of Earth.

"Oh my goodness look at this view, it's absolutely beautiful."

"Isn't it though?" August agreed before cuffing his hands around his mouth, and simply yelling at nothing in particular as his voice echoed "You try it."

Laurielle quickly shook her head, "No way I can't."

"Yes you can, ain't nobody out here but us Cher."

"Cher?" her eyebrows became knitted together, thinking he had called her another woman's name "Who in the devil is Cher?"

"It's not a person, it's another word for sweetheart or baby— I'm originally from New Orleans, but I've been here so long that my accent comes and goes, I barely use the Louisiana slang anymore which I dread."

"Oh," she replied as her body temperature increased due to embarrassment "May I have a water please, I'm a little parched."

Removing his backpack, he unzipped it while reaching inside to grab her a bottle of water— she thanked him before quickly taking a sip, it was too early on for her to be jealous. At least in the midst of her misunderstanding him, she was happy that he had shared something finally.

"All hydrated?" he questioned as she nodded "Good, because we're about to mosey on to our next destination, downhill... there's a lake."

"How do you know your way around these parts so well without a map, or even a cellphone?"

"First of all the reception out here is horrible so a cellphone would be pointless," he began making his way down the hill before turning around to look up at her, "Second... I've been coming out here for as long as I can remember and not much has changed."