02.

• • •

if i knew what safety looked like
i would have spent less time
falling into arms that were not

-rupi kaur

• • •

As much as Laurielle attempted to not think of August, she did— even while working at the pharmacy preparing and dispensing prescriptions, he stayed on her mental.

She hadn't made use of the number that was given either, when would the appropriate time be? Sure he stated that he'd answer morning or night, but she still was a bit uncertain.

"Cousin," she had been greeted by family, Andrea

"How many times do I have to tell you, no pop ups please— there's only so much of you I can handle in a day." Laurielle teased as Andrea playfully rolled her eyes "What brings you by?"

"I can't check on my favorite person in the entire world? You look so beautiful today, did you do something different to your hair?"

"Drea," she replied sternly "What do you want?"

"Remember Kevin, the lawyer guy I'm temporarily dating? He invited me to go out with him and a couple of his friends, he mentioned something about his buddy who happens to be single and... well you're single, so I thought..."

"You thought what? That I'd be interested— Jesus Christ I wish you hadn't set me up like that, do you even know what this 'buddy' even looks like, or what he does for a living?"

"All I know is he's a lawyer as well, Kevin says he's a really great guy Lauri. Besides, you need to venture out into the dating world again. Ever since you and what's his face called off the engagement, you haven't been the same."

"It's not your decision to make though, I'll move on once I'm ready. I just finished up the healing process and the rest still takes some time, so therefore I'm not interested in going out with some fancy pants lawyer. I've already met someone else anyways..." she mumbled the last part

"Wait a minute now, don't try to scurry past that ma'am. What do you mean you've met somebody else? When did this happen? Who is he?"

"The day you dropped me off at the library, I met him there, and it's like no matter how hard I try— I can't get him off of my mind, it's trippy. I don't want to make myself too available, but I won't shy away from showing interest either. August is definitely unique..."

Andrea furrowed her eyebrows as a puzzled expression displayed across her face "His name is August? Like the month? Lauri what the hell girl, yeah that makes him soooo unique, pffft please."

"I happen to like his name, don't be a hater."

"What does he do for a living?"

"We're still on the surface as of right now so I don't know yet, I've only been out with him once and that was to get coffee. The timing was terrible so I couldn't get a sufficient amount of information out of him."

"Mhmm, well is he cute at least?"

"He's very handsome, probably one of the most attractive men I've seen in a while."