Chapter 4

JAEGER

I perched myself up in a tree, watching the moon as it lit up the dark sky. Being off the ground made me feel secure, it was easier to detect danger and execute surprise attacks from up in a tree.

I was on the outskirts of one of the ambushed villages which were now inhabited by vampires, and I was on the verge of sleep when I suddenly heard a commotion below me.

"They're trying something different," I heard a male voice say. It was a vampire, I could tell by how cold his voice sounded.

 I silently unsheathed my dagger.

"I still think they should stick to the plan, we aren't supposed to attack the big villages. Not yet anyway," replied a female voice.

"Yes, but most of the Vanquishers went out, so the village is almost like a small village with them gone."

"I guess it doesn't matter so long as we're killing humans."

"Exactly, it doesn't matter how and when they die, so long as they die."

"Should we go join them and kill the humans?" Asked the female vampire eagerly.

"No, I'm not in the mood to run. Lilliville is way too far out."

Lilliville?

"Then why did you bring it up in the first place?" The female growled. "I'm craving blood now."

"Get it some other time," the male said then sped off.

The female groaned before following after him.

Lilliville. That was the village Izzy stayed in. I imagined the havoc that was taking place in her village right now. It was late, so they must have all been asleep when the vampires attacked. An ambush would be quite the wake-up call. 

It had been a while since I saw a village being attacked, and I decided I wanted to change that. I wouldn't mind watching Izzy's village crumble to ashes. The run would exhaust me too, which would help me fall asleep, so I decided to go to Lilliville. For entertainment purposes, obviously.

It was a good 14 or so kilometres out and it took me several minutes to finally reach it, but I heard the screams before I saw the village. 

I climbed a tree so I could get a good view and pulled down my cloak and mask so I could see and breathe better. There was so much movement and havoc but it didn't take me long to find Izzy. She was just as high up as I was, perched up on the sound tower and had her bow aimed down at the ground, but she didn't release the arrow. She wasn't shooting and yet bodies were dropping by the second, but judging by her expression of panic and confusion, I assumed the bodies dropping were those of the villagers.

I drew my eyes away from Izzy to watch the battle properly for the first time. The humans were being slaughtered, and they didn't seem to be fighting back. I realised that, though the humans were afraid of killing their own kind, the vampires had no problem identifying who was a vampire and who wasn't, which put them at a massive advantage. They were all going to be dead in no time.

Suddenly, a loud ear-piercing shriek rang from the sound tower and I threw my hands to my ears with a groan, as did every other vampire there. With our sensitive ears, the sound was ten times more amplified and I almost fell from my tree from the suddenness of it. 

The vampires had their hands to their ears, and even though they weren't killing any more humans, the villagers suddenly started falling to the ground, one after the other in quick succession. My brows rose but I couldn't help my grin when the Vanquishers ran their swords through the vampires. It was no longer difficult to pick them out, not when all the villagers were on the ground and the Vanquishers had a uniform on.