"My task this season cannot be exceptionally difficult. Hastings did it after all." Anthony looks from Benedict to me. "You did it brother. How hard can it be?"

"Ah. Spoken with such feeling too," Benedict teases.

"I do not need feeling. What I need is what I have, and that is a list," Anthony tells us. "Tolerable, dutiful, suitable enough hips for childbearing, and at least half a brain. And that last part is not so much a requirement but a preference, in fact."

I shake my head. "I see love has not made the list."

"I do not need love for a successful marriage," Anthony says.

"No but it does help to make marriage bearable, brother," Benedict tells him. "You may even enjoy it."

It is less nerve racking to be on this side of presentations I must admit.

"Miss Cordelia Patridge. The Lady Abigail Evans."

One by one the eligible ladies are presented to Her Majesty by their sponsor.

"Miss Mary Ann Hallewell. Miss Margaret Goring."

Not a single young lady has caught Her Majesty's eye.

"The Dowager Viscountess Bridgerton and Miss Eloise Bridgerton."

Eloise takes a step before stopping. I can tell she is nervous. Possibly having a breakdown.

Daphne gestures with her hands to Eloise. "Smile."

Suddenly the doors to the room open. A servant walks in with a silver tray.

"What is the meaning of this?" Her Majesty asks. She picks a paper up from the tray and laughs lightly. "I've seen enough."

"But Your Majesty, there are still..."

"I have seen enough!" Her Majesty shouts before standing up and taking her leave.

Eloise turns and runs from the room. Daphne moves to chase her but stops. Instead, Lady Bridgerton follows after Eloise.

"Truly, I cannot say I will long for any of this. Best of luck to you, Brother. You shall certainly need it this season," Daphne tells Anthony.

The crowd whispers as Lady Whistledown papers are handed out. I smile slightly.

"I am sure Eloise is relieved," I tell Benedict.

He laughs. "You saw her runaway. She is rightfully ecstatic."

I hold the Whistledown paper up. "And here I was thinking this season would be boring."

Dearest gentle reader. Did you miss me? As the members of our esteemed ton lazily sojourned in their rustic retreats, this author was doing but one thing. Honing my skills. Or should I say, hatching my plans? No, even better. I was sharpening my knives... for all of you. Questions abound as to this author's identity and means. Seeking those answers shall prove fruitless, indeed. There is, of course, another unknown identity at present. Though, this one you will be able to unearth. I speak of the season's diamond, wherever she may be. Your move, Your Majesty.

Benedict and I sit in the drawing room of Bridgerton house. Lady Bridgerton rather loves seeing her grandson. I have missed the Bridgerton family while not with them. I make every excuse I can to visit them. Even if that means watching Eloise's dancing lessons.

"I do not think she's very good," Hyacinth says.

"I believe she can hear you," Benedict tells her.

"I can hear you," Eloise protests.

"Ow! Watch my feet!" Gregory shouts.

Eloise has been stepping on his feet quite a bit today.

"Might we be done?" Eloise asks.

"If you are to catch the queen's eye after that interruption, you must be perfection," Lady Bridgerton tells her.

"I believe it was the interruption that was perfection," Eloise counters.

"Shocking that Eloise Bridgerton was not named the season diamond, was it not?" Benedict teases.

I make a face and Benedict simply smiles at me.

Anthony walks into the room. "Was anyone else aware that dear Colin has decided to add Albania or some such place to his itinerary as he gads about the world?"

"No. But how happy for him that he can simply decide to do that," Eloise says.

"Joining us for tea, Anthony?" Lady Bridgerton asks.

"Uh, I'm afraid I must pass. Too many calls on my funds today," Anthony tells her. "Now that the season has started, I need to fill your coffers at the modiste and oversee the hiring of extra staff. Your ring. When you get the chance, I need it. The fields by Ferryhallow. I was thinking we might hold off on leasing them due to the hard frost."

"I beg your pardon?" Lady Bridgerton asks.

"The frost hardens the soil, saps it of nutrients," Anthony tells her as if that was the part Lady Bridgerton misunderstood.

"That is very well. But you requested my ring?" Lady Bridgerton says.

"Father's betrothal ring," Anthony tells her.

"Did someone catch your eye at the presentation, Anthony?" I ask.

"I thought all the young ladies looked beautiful," Hyacinth offers.

"Not particularly. And all the young ladies looked the same. Like young ladies," Anthony says. "I'd simply like to be prepared for when the opportunity presents itself."

"The opportunity?" Lady Bridgerton asks.

"I've already compiled an index of the season's eligible misses and arranged interviews," Anthony informs her.

Lady Bridgerton chuckles. "Interviews! Dearest, I shall be more than happy to give you my ring when you find someone with whom you are very much in love. Besides, it is in safekeeping at Aubrey Hall."

"Very well," Anthony says.

"See that he is quite well," Lady Bridgerton tells Benedict.

"Me?" Benedict asks.

"I'm not in need of coddling. I assure you all, everything is in order," Anthony says before heading out the door.

I do not make it a priority to go to the Featherington house these days, but Penelope does come to my own home quite often. I think she enjoys the escape.

"How are things at home Pen?" I ask.

"We have no money if that is what you are asking about," Penelope tells me.

"The money I gave Aunt Featherington is gone?" I ask.

Penelope looks confused. "You gave Mama money?"

"A bit," I confess. "To keep her on her feet after the passing of your father. It did not feel right to let you all worry about money at a time like that."

"The staff has left," Penelope tells me. "We are always eating potatoes."

"Has the new Lord Featherington arrived yet?" I ask.

Penelope shakes her head. "No. Not yet. Mama has done nothing but speak ill of him."

"What gossip is she spreading?" I ask.

"She insists he wants us to suffer. That he is delighting in our misfortune. Worse that he will send us away to the country somewhere. She wants us all betrothed. She thinks that would stop him from sending us away."

"Ignore your Mama, Penelope," I tell her. "I would never let her send you away. I would sooner take you into my own home. You are my favorite cousin after all."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N plot twist I decided to continue this story. I just really wanted ya'll to get a glimpse of Benedict and Diana married life so I hope I do them justice. If not just forget the chapters for season 2 even exist.