05. Secrets Unearthed

•

EVERY TELEVISION SCREEN ACROSS Panem broadcasted the event live. Twenty-four terrified tributes were lifted onto pedestals in the middle of the arena, two of which included Dove's siblings. She had rejoined the other mentors in the loading bay, as they awaited the flight back to the Capitol. Her hands found Andor's arm, fingernails digging into the skin and muscle so tightly that she drew blood. He said nothing and allowed it. Dove had just sentenced her siblings to death, so she had every right to cling to him.

The other mentors watched them silently. They were not judging, it was not embarrassment in their eyes -- it was sympathy. Each one of them understood and they mourned with her. But no one dared interrupt the two lovers. They left Andor and Dove alone, only watching with a pit in their stomachs at the gut-wrenching tears of an older sister who willingly put her siblings into the Hunger Games.

Back in the Capitol, Dove couldn't bring herself to eat the feast that had been prepared for the mentors' 'hard work'. She sat in between Andor and Sorrel, eyes locked on her lap, ignoring the voices around her. But eventually, slowly, the voices died down. No longer did the distraction of food capture the attention of the other mentors.

"Dove..." Andor's voice was soft in her ear. Painfully, she turned her neck to look at him. His warm eyes immediately calmed her, if only a little. "Do you wanna get out of here?"

In a hoarse voice, she answered. "Yes please."

With a curt nod, Andor grabbed her hand and yanked her out of her seat as he stood. Every eye in the room shot to them, but no one made a move to stop them, no one except for the Peacekeepers. As he pulled them towards the door, the white-clad Capitol soldier stepped in front of them. "No one leaves until noon."

Andor opened his mouth to argue but was cut off by the voice of another mentor. "Come on, Benson. That's Dove Mildfall. Her siblings are tributes. If she and Andor wanna leave, let them leave."

Turning their heads, they were both shocked to see that it was Julius from District 2. Brutus's mentor. He smiled at them and nodded, a silent 'you're welcome'. Peacemaker Benson huffed and moved aside. They passed silently, hands tightly interlocked as they both made their way out of the Training Centre.

There was something unspoken between the lovers as they both walked towards the Greenhouse. It was a sanctuary they both knew. The sun was beginning to set as they entered, giving the plants an earthly glow. 

As soon Dove had made it to the center, she collapsed. Andor was quick to catch her as the tears she had been holding in finally released. Her throat ran raw from her screams and her eyes were so painfully red she began clawing at them, as if to remove them from her head. Andor the held her wrists and began to rock her. She could hear that he too wad crying, and feel the drops of tears on her shoulder. 

By the time Dove's well of tears dried, it was dark, the only light was from the lanterns placed throughout the greenhouse. Slowly, she moved from Andor's arms and wiped softly at her tender cheeks. "What if they didn't make it? What if they were killed in the first slaughter?"