01. The 46th Annual Hunger Games

•

SOFT, YELLOW SUNLIGHT CREPT its way through the curtains, shining on the tangled mass of limbs and bedsheets that was Dove and Andor. Both victors stirred, their peaceful slumber disturbed. Andor cracked his eyes open, staring into the face of his love. Dove's eyes remained closed, hoping that if she did so long enough, she would drift back off to sleep.

"Morning..." Andor said groggily. Instinctively, Dove's face heated up at the sound of his morning voice. But, she still kept her eyes closed, only a small smile gracing her lips. Andor chuckled deeply, maneuvering his hand out from between their bodies and moving it to her cheek, which he stroked softly. "Sleep well, my dove?"

"Yes," She replied quietly, still not opening her eyes. "And you?"

He laughed at how formal she was being. "As well as I can the night before the Reaping..." At the mention of the Hunger Games, Dove's eyes finally snapped open. Immediately, Andor regretted mentioning it. "Dove, I'm sorry-"

"No, it's okay," She shook her head, beginning to detangle herself from him. "I forgot, that's all."

But it was more than that. Ivy and Heath, her younger sister and brother, turned twelve this year and thusly, they would be entered into the draw for the games. Though both their names would only be in there once, there was still a chance, however slim, that they would be chosen. The thought of either of them having to go through the horrors that she had to, made Dove sick to her stomach.

As she sat up, so did Andor. For two years, she had been worried about this day and now it was finally here. He placed his hand on the small of her back and rubbed in circles. "I'm with you. If you need me, I'll be there."

"You have to prepare. We're both mentoring," She glanced at him sadly.

"You're more important to me than any tribute," He said sternly.

She whipped her head towards him. "Don't say that! We need to be the best we can possibly be for our tributes if we want them to survive. Their children, Andy. We can't just turn a blind eye if one of us is a little sad."

Andor reached out to take her hands, encasing them both in his callused ones. "You're more than 'a little sad', Dove. I know that it tears you apart knowing Heath or Ivy could be chosen, but like I've told you a million times before, I will always be here for you."

Dove swallowed the lump in her throat and nodded. "I know..." She whispered. "We need to get ready if we want to be at our Districts in time."

Andor nodded softly. "Of course,"

Their hands disconnected and they both stood. They began to putter around their bedroom, grabbing their clothes lazily. Dove pulled back the curtains to let the entirety of the sun in, revealing the grand buildings of the Capitol. She hated living in the Capitol, but it was the only way Andor and her could actually be together. She remembered President Snow's words, "Travel between the Districts if forbidden, even for you Victors." His voice made her skin crawl.