family dinner

THE SUN WAS SETTING ON THE BEAUTIFUL SUMMER NIGHT, the Anderson-Carrera family sat in the backyard of the Anderson home, as conversation, laughter and the waves crashing onto the beach filled the backyard

THE SUN WAS SETTING ON THE BEAUTIFUL SUMMER NIGHT, the Anderson-Carrera family sat in the backyard of the Anderson home, as conversation, laughter and the waves crashing onto the beach filled the backyard. Grandpa Anderson's last dying wish was that the family came together once a week and enjoyed a home cooked meal. Which is exactly what the family was doing, it felt like Gramps was there with his family catching up on all the shenanigans, he knew his granddaughters were up to.

"How was your day girls?" Anna asked with a smile, putting the bowl of mashed potatoes on the table. The woman sat next to her husband, who was at the head of the table.

"It was good." Kiara answered answered her mother as she scooped the potatoes onto her plate before passing the bowl to her grandmother.

Rory held back a smile as she remembered what they were doing only a few hours ago; breaking into a construction zone and running away from security, it was fun but obviously not a family dinner conversation. "Yeah, we just went surfing with the boys." Rory answered her aunt, referring to John B, Pope and JJ; which her aunt and uncle weren't the biggest fans of.

"Speaking of, are you girls dating any of them?" Grams asked, she's been practically begging her granddaughters to give her great grandchildren. "Definitely not. Sorry, Grams." Kiara answered her.

"Well, is there anyone you got your eyes on?" The old woman asked. Kiara didn't answer. There was someone she liked, but she couldn't tell her family, at least not yet.

"Kinda, but not really." Rory answered.

Grams looked at her with wide eyes. "Well, who is it?"

Rory shook her head. "Sorry, Gram. I'm not falling for that again." The last time Rory told her grandmother who she had a crush on, Gram followed the boy every chance she got to tell him what a great choice Rory would be. It was embarrassing.

After dinner and the Carrera family left,  leaving Rory to tie up the boats on the dock. Her grandmother couldn't bear to get ride of her late husband or sons boats.

"Need some help?" A voice startled Rory. Conrad Fisher, her next door neighbor walked over. Rory blushed, thankfully the sun had set so Conrad couldn't see. "Yes please. You'd be a life savor."

"Not a problem." He answered before helping her.

The brunette wanted to say something, but she didn't know what to say.

Rory's phone chimed, telling her she had a new message. She smiled when she realized it was from John B.

'You still down for pre-hurricane surf?'

A quick 'Absolutely! Meet you there soon.' was sent.

"Hey, if you're interested. Some friends and I are gonna surf, you wanna come?" She asked once they both hit the shore.

"Before a hurricane? That's kinda dangerous." He pointed out. Rory shrugged her shoulders. "Yeah, but what's the point of life, if you don't do crazy things?"

Pre-hurricane surfs were actually created by Andrew and Callie Anderson, which they passed onto their daughter and Rory passed it to her friends. It was one of the things she had left of her parents.

Conrad thought about it, he had been in such a bad mood lately, maybe this could take his mind off of his problems for a little bit. "Sure, why not?"

Rory's eyes almost popped out of her head. She never thought in a million years, that Conrad Fisher would be joining her on a pre-hurricane surf.

"Alrighty then, John B and Pope are currently waiting for us. So if you can get your stuff, meet me in my drive way." She clapped her hands before starting to race up the small hill to get back to the house. Once she reached the house she immediately grabbed her surfboard and loaded it onto her jeep.

Grams went out to the garage and gave Rory a tight hug. "I hate this stupid tradition. But have fun and please, stay safe."

Rory smiled, her grandmother was the chillest person in the family, usually it was Gramps that stressed about everything, but the old woman really hated pre-hurricane surfs.

The moment was cut short when Conrad appeared with his board.

The rain started to pour hard as they arrived to the beach. A pair of arms wrapped around Rory's waist, startling her at first but once her mind processed that it was John B, she relaxed.

"What's cookin' good lookin'?" He smiled at her before kissing her cheek.

Rory cringed at his comment. "Ew, please don't ever say that to me again."

Yep, John Booker Routledge is the guy every girl wants. His inviting energy could pull everyone in, even if he came up with a dumb plan, there was no way you could tell him no. Which is exactly how he got Rory to date him a few years back.

The two brunettes were the IT couple back in seventh and eight grade, the Pogue king and queen; a match made in heaven. However, the couple became super awkward with each other and after a long conversation, they both decided that it would be better to just stay friends. That's what they were best at.

"Guys! It's a double overhead out there!" Pope called to his friends over the storm. John B looked back at him, then to the water. "Double overhead?" Beck asked. The six teens stood in front of a sign that read: BEACH CLOSED DUE TO HURRICANE.

Obviously.

"Those aren't surf able waves, guys!" Pope told them, doubt and concern forming in his face. This was a dumb idea.

Pope Heyward, the brains of every operation. Pope is the smartest of the Pogues and is currently in the run for a merit scholarship. But don't be fooled, he's always up for an adventure, he just actually thinks things over before jumping off the cliff.

Rory chuckled at her friends' statement. If she learned anything from her parents, it's that life is too short to be afraid of anything. "Says who, Pope?" With that question, she was off. The dangerous water was calling her name.

Conrad looked at her run towards the water, he knew in this moment that Rory was going to keep him on his toes this summer. Normally, Conrad, his brother Jeremiah, and his best friend Steven, did their own thing during the summers while Steven's little sister, Belly hung out with Rory and sometimes Kiara. But this summer was different.

Maybe he should hang with the Pogues this summer, have an actual adventure, he thought.