Happy Belated Birthday

Začať od začiatku

The glass May had been washing slipped from her hand, hitting the edge of the sink and it shattered, glass spraying in all directions. Her whole body froze, a gasp escaping her lips as her heart dropped like ice in her chest.

No.

No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

She had absolutely had not forgotten her nephew's birthday. No. It wasn't possible.

"Whoa! Are you okay May?" Ned asked.

"Fine," May gasped, spinning around, back planting against this sink. Water soaked into the back of her shirt, but she ignored it, heart pounding too fast in her chest.

Peter wasn't looking at her, his gaze fixed on the present that Ned had handed over. He fidgeted, no doubt feeling the horror on her face as she stared at him, wide eyed and guiltily.

"Did you cut yourself?" Peter asked, gaze flickering up briefly before he looked back at his feet.

"No," May swallowed thickly. "Peter –"

"Ned and I are going out," Peter cut her off quickly. He placed the box on their small table before grabbing Ned and dragging him to the door. "We'll be back later. I'm not sure when."

"Peter –" May tried again.

"I'll be back later. Promise," Peter said and then he pushed a confused Ned out the apartment, the door shutting with a quiet click.

May wished he had slammed it. Silence rang through the apartment as May stood there in horror.

"Shit!" May hissed. She weaved through the shattered glass until she reached the living room where she had tossed her phone that morning. It was right where she left it and she opened it up, quickly pulling up a number and dialling it with shaking fingers.

"Pick up, pick up," May hissed, starting to pace.

"May! To what do I owe a call this fine Saturday morning," Tony answered in a jovial tone.

"Tell me you didn't forget," May said.

"Me, forget? Ha! Who are you talking to?"

May stopped pacing, falling to the couch and bringing a shaky hand up to cover her eyes. "Don't play with me, Stark. Tell me you remembered."

"May? What's going on?" Tony was immediately alert.

"Peter's birthday," May whispered. "Tell me you did something for him."

There was silence over the end of the phone.

May whimpered, tears welling in her eyes. "Shit. Shit! I didn't do anything. I didn't even wish him a happy birthday! Oh my God! What have I done?"

"May, calm down," Tony said.

"Calm down?!" May shrieked and jumped up to resume her pacing. "I forgot his birthday, Tony. My own nephew! I haven't even gotten him anything. I've been so busy with work and picking up extra shifts-" May cut herself off with a strong shake of her head. "No! No that isn't an excuse. I forgot his birthday."

"You're not the only one," Tony said bitterly.

May choked on a sob. "We forgot. How did we let this happen? God, no wonder he's hasn't been talking to me."

"I'll be right over," Tony said.

He hung up the phone, leaving May to collapse back onto the couch and sob into her hands. She was the worst Aunt in the world.

"They forgot your birthday?" Ned gasped, hand shooting out to grip Peter's wrist. They halted to a stop in the middle of the path, ignoring the grumbles of the early morning shoppers around them. "Dude, why didn't you tell me?"