Ch. 5 The Reception

Começar do início

"Is there food at this thing?" Clemont asked.

"What kind of a celebration would it be without food?" Sycamore replied. "I promise, there will be more than you can eat, including what may be the best steak you've ever had. It's dry-aged from range-fed beef raised right here on our ranch."

"I'm so happy," Clemont said.

"Good, because tonight is in your honor," Sycamore said. "Have a good time."

I took Serena's hand. "That's an order," I whispered.

"Yes, it is," Sycamore said. I blushed, embarrassed that he'd heard me.

He looked at Serena. "I'm certain that Ms. Yvonne will have an especially good time. In fact, I think I can guarantee it. "

He doesn't know what he's guaranteed, I thought.

We stopped outside another set of double doors and Sycamore waited until everyone had caught up. "Are you ready?"

"Let's do this," Brock said, already knowing what was behind the doors.

Sycamore opened the doors, exposing a large dining hall filled with people. At the sight of us everyone burst into applause.

My mother was standing near the doorway, waiting to greet us, a broad smile on her face. "This is for you, my heroes." We walked into the festivities. The room was decorated with crepe paper and balloons and a large sign that said WELCOME HEROES.

We were swarmed by people who wanted to shake our hands. After just a few minutes my mother pulled Serena and me aside. "Serena, are you okay?" She asked.

"Yes. This is really great."

My mother just looked at her. "You can tell me the truth."

Serena half smiled. "I thought I was the mind reader."

"I'm a mother," she said. "I have intuition."

Serena looked down. "I miss my family."

My mother nodded knowingly. "Of course you do. But not for much longer."

"What?"

"Didn't Sycamore tell you? They're working on bringing your parents here."

Serena threw her arms around my mother. "Thank you, thank you, thank you."

My mother laughed. "It's the least they could do, right?"

Serena's reaction filled me with both relief and joy.

A minute later Clemont walked over to us, dragging his parents with him. They all looked as happy as almonds in chocolate.

"Ash, honey," Mrs. Citron said. "It's so very good to see you."

"It's good to see you too," I said. It was. As eccentric as Clemont's mother was, I really liked her. She had always been good to me. Clemont grinned mischievously. "I told them how we went back home and there were Galactic guards inside our apartment."

"You boys have had some excitement," Mrs. Citron said, not looking very happy about the fact.

"I'm watching out for him," I said.

"We know, Ash," Mr. Citron said. "Don't think we don't appreciate it."

Clemont squinted. "Who's watching over whom?"

"You're not watching over his diet," Mrs. Citron said. "He's not eating enough. I hardly recognized him. He's wasting away."

"Estelle," Mr. Citron said. "He's becoming a man."