Chapter 3

[At Shylock's house]

"No" Shylock said, after patiently listening to Antonio state his promises.
"What? Why?" Antonio exclaimed.

"Buddy, you mocked me in the marketplace because I 'take interest with my money', you're a Christian and you hate Jews. Do you need any more reasons? "

"What should I do for you to change your mind?"

"A pound of your flesh."

"The hell?"

"You pay the money with interest in three months, or I get a pound of your flesh."

Being sure that Antonio would be able to get the money, he agrees on the deal. Lorenzo and Bassanio, who were beside Antonio, had their suspicions with the deal. Inorder to show his gratitude to Antonio, Bassanio signed the suspicious deal without Shylock's knowledge.

Bassanio knew that Antonio would be able to return the money, and his signature would lose it's meaning after the money was returned.

"Papa! Have you seen my pink notebook?" said a voice, descending down from the stairs. The source of the voice slowly came into view: Jessica, Shylock's daughter. Bassanio was a bit intrigued by her, her graceful walk, the way the curves on her hips were highlighted through her dress. But he reminded himself of his real aim: to marry Portia and settle down peacefully.

Jessica muttered a quick apology and scurried back upstairs, for her father to continue his business in peace.

When all was said and done, the trio of friends turned to leave, as Bassanio asked "So no rabies test?"

"Won't be necessary, I think," Antonio replied, scratching his neck furiously.