- 15 -

"Can I see that one?" Riley asks, pointing to a simple ring. The guy behind the counter hands it to him and Riley looks it over. "Would you propose to me with this?"

The guy takes it back then sighs under his breath. "Will you marry me." He says flatly, looking from the thousand dollar paycheck in his hand to the somewhat intimidating country boy in front of him.

"Nah, that ain't it." Riley huffs, running a hand over his face.

The salesman slides the ring back into the tray then stands silently.

"Okay." Riley says, glancing between him and the rings in the case. "That one. The- the one with the- yeah."

It looks tiny between Riley's fingers, the ring does. Lina has delicate hands.

Her hands.

Riley clears his throat. "Ask me."

"Will you marry me." He repeats in an extremely bored tone.

"That's it, that's the one."

"Great!" The salesman's posture changes. "I'll get it all set up for you, okay?"

"Thanks. Thanks for all your help, man."

"Of course! She's gonna love it."

Riley relaxes. "I hope."

Once he pays, he's heading out the door feeling six thousand dollars lighter and a small leather box in his pocket.

He's heading home tomorrow and he cannot wait to finally be back with his Lina Shay.

+++

Lina squeals as she races down the front porch steps to the love of her life and leaps into Riley's strong arms.

He laughs, hugging her tightly, his nose buried in her shoulder as he spins her around.

"I missed you." She grins, her forehead against his while twisting his curls around her fingers.

"Mmm." He smiles against her lips, a hand following her curves down to her ass. "I missed you more."

He blindly makes his way up the stairs to the front door, pushing it open before stumbling slightly, their lips never separating.

+++

"Hey."

"Mmm."

"Babe."

"Mmm."

"Baby."

"What."

"Wake up."

"No." Lina whines as she turns on her other side away from Riley. "Leave me alone."

"Lina..."

She whines as she sits up, her hair a mess as she gives Riley a dirty look. "What."

"Take a shower and get dressed up. We're goin' out tonight."

"For why?" She huffs as she flops back in their messy sheets.

"Because I'm home and I ain't seen you in weeks."

A pretty smile splits across her lips and she slides out of bed in one of Riley's shirts and a pair of panties.

"Wow."

"What?"

"You are just so beautiful."

Lina blushes as she makes her way to him, leaning up to kiss him sweetly. "I love you so much."

Riley smiles, his hands going to her hips as he presses her against their shared dresser. He has to stop himself. "Get ready."

Lina whines when he pulls away. "We have time."

He chuckles and presses a kiss to her forehead. "C'mon."

+++

"Damn." Riley looks her over. "Holy shit."

"Shut up." Lina grins, elbowing him playfully.

Riley opens the door to the restaurant for her, practically drooling as he follows her in.

"Hey, how ya doin', ma'am?" Riley asks politely as he approches the hostess podium. "We have a reservation under Riley Green."

"Of course." She beeps into her computer. "It'll be about half an hour."

"What? But we got a reservation?"

"I know, sir, but there were other reservations before you."

"We're happy to wait. Thank you so much." Lina slides her hand over his back then wraps her hand around his arm.

Riley nods, letting her lead him to a nearby bench. "Sorry." He runs his hand over his face.

Lina chuckles. "For what? Ain't nothin' you can do about it."

Riley sighs as leans back against the wall, looking his girlfriend over. "You are so goddamn beautiful." He takes her hand and pulls her down to sit with him.

"Shut up." She blushes. "What's goin' on, Ri? Why are we here?" She laughs. "We usually get a burger and walk around town."

"I dunno. Wanted to do somethin' different."

She chuckles again, leaning against him with a hand on his knee.

"Sir, we got a table ready for you." The hostess says with two menus in her hands.

Riley takes Lina's hand and follows the girl to a secluded table toward the back of the restaurant.

Lina quickly catches on to what's going on.

Is Riley Green finally proposing?

She orders a drink then wipes her hands off on the skirt of her dress. "What looks good?" She asks, looking over the menu.

"You, darlin'." Riley flirts, biting his lip.

"Shush." Lina blushes, taking a sip of her wine.

+++

"Woah." Lina giggles, her legs wobbling as she grips onto Riley's arm, stumbling her way up their front steps.

"Woah." Riley repeats, keeping an arm anchored around her while he unlocks their door.

"You are just such a sweetheart, Riley Green." She sighs dreamily, leaning against the doorframe as she looks up at him. "And such a helluva smokeshow, I'll tell ya what."

Riley chuckles as he steps inside, tossing his keys and wallet to the coffee table. "Hey, y'know what?"

"What, baby?" He asks, undoing his tie.

"I think I might be sick." Lina's stomach twists at her words. "Yep, I'm gonna throw up." She snorts as she makes her way to the bathroom just in time to vomit up the almost entire bottle of wine and possibly as shrimp she ate.

Riley's there with a glass of water and a hand to hold her hair back. "Hot right?" She jokes, breathing hard with her eyes squeezed shut.

"Sexy." He runs a hand over her exposed back. "You okay?"

"Yep." She spits before she gargles with the water Riley brought. "I'm sorry if this ruined your plan."

"What plan?"

"You were- I saw- Nevermind." She huffs, standing.

He gets her all dolled up and takes her out to some very prestigious restaurant to not propose.

What a waste of time.

Lina struggles to unzip the back of her dress but when Riley goes to help, she steps away.

He clears his throat and starts stripping down to his boxers to change into a pair of sweats and a hoodie over his bare chest.

He silently heads down the hallway to the den while Lina crawls into bed feeling incredibly stupid for thinking he was proposing.