~ chapter 1 ~

Change is a funny thing

Change is a funny thing. One moment you're calm and safe the next your whole life is turned upside down. 

"Ella," a boy says, jolting me out of my thoughts. As I turn around, I see a happy blonde boy.

"Hey Charlie," I say "How are you?"

"I'm doing good," he says. "Are you ready for our first day?" he asks.

"No, not at all," I say.

A few weeks earlier my hockey team and I were given a full-ride scholarship to Eden Hall. I mean, it's amazing that I get to go to this large fancy school and play JV hockey with my best friends, but it's also terrifying. I'm not a fan of new schools or change.

The school held a small ceremony, and let's just say we met the Varsity team. Rick Riley, in particular, is a cruel, asshole who cares only about himself.

"Oh come on Ella, you're going to be fine, we all are going to be fine"

"Thanks, Charlie; what are your classes?" I ask, knowing that I will not be in any of his classes. I take all advanced classes despite my dislike for them; yet, my mom insists that I do so.

"I have English first, math second, lunch, science third, and gym fourth. You?"

"First math, second science, lunch, third English and last art."

"So we have no classes together?" Charlie asks disappointed.

"Except for lunch, we both knew I wasn't going to be in any of your classes."

"I know, I know," says Charlie, "but there are moments when I wish you wouldn't take those ridiculous classes."

"Same, but my mom is so strict with them; I wish I didn't have to take them"

"Oh shut up Ella, being smart is a great thing."I roll my eyes at his remark.

As we approach a large brick school with gold letters spelling out Eden Hall, I notice that the majority of the team is already waiting outside. Dean is also here; he initially refused to come, but we persuaded him that it would be the best time of his life.

"Hey guys," Charlie says as we approach the group.

"We should all be heading to class since we don't want to be late," I add as I look at my watch. Everyone finds friends to walk to class with.

"Ella, if you like, I can walk you to class," Dean says as he approaches me.

"Oh I'll be okay on my own, Dean," I say.

"Are you sure?"

"I'm sure," I say, giving him a small smile.

To be honest, I don't want to find my class by myself; I'd prefer to have a friend, but I need to learn how to do things on my own. Before heading to my classes, I find Julie and Connie, to say hello, and catch up a little.