Chapter IV : A Sweet Pair of Lips

Up and down escalators, pennies and colder fountains

Elevators and half price sales, trapped in by all these mountains

Running away and hiding with you.

Yes, I dared. I wasn't going to do any dancing at that stupid ball, anyway. So I tucked myself into an alcove, beside a bust of a former principal, and waited as Violet cleared the area.

Okay. He was gone.

I glanced quickly to the clock on the wall - Past the ninth hour. Alright. Where on earth could he be going now? I slipped my shoes off my feet, and began to pad after him in my bare stockings.

I knew that there was something odd about him. And Jo, commenting that it was weird that he out of all the prefects would return to the school. Perhaps he was orchestrating something behind the scenes. After all, wouldn't someone of his position have gone straight to the ball, to cover his excuses for being late to dinner? Something was up. And I was going to figure out what it was.

The corridors started to get darker, more twisted as I crept after Violet. I always kept ten steps behind, staying close to the walls and keeping my head down. We passed no one else on the way, which made me wonder - where was he taking us? What was he doing? We turned down one last short corridor, so short that I hid behind the corner before following after Violet as the thick, silver door swung shut behind him.

Oh. God. The door was metal, and as cold as ice. Was this some sort of mortuary?

I stood there for a minute, or two, or five. Wondering whether or not I should go in. Maybe I didn't even want to get involved anymore. Why had I followed him in the first place? We'd only known each other a few hours. This was ridiculous, I was being ridiculous.

"I don't understand," he continued, picking up the page and slipping it into my hands, "Look at you. You're beautiful."

That was why. Of course.

Taking a deep breath, I pushed down on the handle of the door, and forced it open.

The room was almost pitch-black, but the air was curiously warm. As I advanced, I began to smell something strangely fishy; and then I realized. It was the salmon that we had eaten for dinner.

We were in the kitchen.

I touched the counter, and felt my way along the edge, being careful so as to not touch anything sharp or burning hot. Hm. This was going quite well so far -

"Why did you follow me?"

A shriek ripped its way up my throat, loud and coarse. Violet anticipated this; a hand clamped down on my mouth suddenly, cutting me off straight away. His other arm curled around my waist, pulling me against his body - and his lips were at my ear, and they were chilled, with the scent of sweet vanilla hanging off them.

"I'm going to let you go now, if you don't scream again," he said cautiously. "Promise not to scream?"

I nodded, and he peeled his hand away. I only realized that my breathing was absolutely racing once I heard it drift through the blackness.

"I... You said you'd see me at dinner. And then you didn't." I wiped at my face. "I wondered where you might have been."

"You were curious," he confirmed, and I nodded.

What was be going to do with me?

To my surprise, he gave a low, short chuckle, and released me. "Seems as though we have ourselves Scotland Yard's first female inspector, no?"