Chapter Twenty Eight

Start from the beginning

She raised her hand to her com. "Steve, I've been-"

She was cut off by someone roughly grabbing her arms and pinning her to the ground. They ripped the com from her ear and removed any weapons she had. They were shouting at her in German, but she still didn't know what he was saying. She had only been taught Spanish, French and a small amount of Russian. She was picked up off the ground before being shoved into a police van.

At least they didn't handcuff me, she thought to herself as the van went barreling down the road. It was clear that she wasn't the only criminal they would be picking up. She leaned forward in her seat a little when a freeway came into view. From the window she could see Sam, Steve and who she assumed was Bucky all with guns trained on them.

They shoved Bucky into a different van, but put Steve and Sam into the same one as her. Steve had a defeated look on his face as he climbed inside.

"You okay?" He asked.

"I'm fine." She assured him. "How about you two?"

"Fine." They both said, but she knew Steve was lying. He had a distant look in his eyes as they drove to an airport that would take them to Berlin.

The people on the airplane were a little kinder than the police they had dealt with. They actually handed her her phone, bow and arrows back. When she received her phone she could see more missed calls from her mom. She sighed and dialed her number. Her dad had most likely already been in contact with Natasha, but she knew her mother was most likely frantic at this point.

"Brianna! Are you okay? Please tell me you're okay?" Her mother asked. She could tell from her hoarse voice that she had been crying. Brianna felt a pang of guilt hit her.

"I'm fine, mom. I promise. I'm on my way to Germany right now." She said.

"Good. Now that I know you aren't hurt...have you lost your mind?" Her mother yelled. "You're a criminal Brianna. A criminal. There are clips of you evading the police everywhere."

"Mom, Steve's friend-" Brianna tried to speak, but her mom cut her off.

"I don't care about the why. You're my daughter. I just want you be safe."

"I was being safe. I promise."

"Oh yes, because firing arrows at the military is safe."

Brianna sighed and rubbed her head. "Mom, I've got to go. I'll talk to you later. I love you."

She noticed Steve had walked over just as she hung up the phone. He sat down next to her and could see the frustration on her face. "Your mom?"

"Yeah. Let's just say that she doesn't share our view point." Brianna told him.

"Bri, I'm so sorry about this." He said.

She shook her head. "No. Don't do that. I knew the risks. I made this decision. Besides, it worked."

****
Berlin, Germany

Brianna felt like a world traveler by the time they reached Germany. In the span of only days she had gone to the UK, Romania and now Germany. It had been her first time visiting any of the countries. She would have preferred she would have done it under different circumstances. She was exhausted by the time the plane landed. She attempted to use Steve's shoulder as a pillow, but it wasn't the most comfortable thing in the world.

As they were unloaded from the plane to be forced into yet another van, she finally got a better look at Bucky. It was the first time she saw him in person and not images. He had long, straggly hair. His face looked somewhere between broken and confused. He avoided looking at anyone. He just stared dead ahead. He was so different from the smiling pictures she had seen of him.