Chapter Twenty Six

Just when Brianna didn't think things could get worse, they did. Perhaps it had been narrow minded of her to think there would be no repercussions for what happened in Lagos. Especially after the amount of media coverage it gained. That was why when Steve strolled into their room with a grim look on his face and informed her that the Secretary of State was there to speak with them, that it didn't surprise her.

"I feel like a kid being sent to the principal's office." Brianna mumbled under her breath as they walked to the conference room together.

Steve looked down at her. "Well, it's probably going to be like that."

She stopped for a second and reached out to touch Steve's arm. "Any news from Peggy's family?"

He shook his head. "No, not yet."

Her hand slid down to his and she gave it a gentle squeeze. Brianna tried not to be jealous of Steve's first love. She had actually met the woman a few months ago and enjoyed speaking with her. She seemingly approved of Brianna too. A week ago, Steve had received a call from Peggy's family that she wasn't doing well and she would be expected to pass way soon. She held Steve in her arms for hours as he wept in the probably of their room. It broke her heart to see him in pain. In the conference room sat Rhodey, Sam, Natasha, Wanda, Vision, and Tony sat in the back while Secretary Ross stood at head of the table.

"Five years ago, I had a heart attack. I dropped right in the middle of my back-swing. Turned out it was the best round of my life, because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass . . . I found something 40 years in the Army had never taught me: Perspective. The world owes the Avengers an un-payable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives . . . but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some . . . who would prefer the word "vigilantes"." Ross began.

"And what word would you use, Mr. Secretary?" Natasha asked.

"How about "dangerous"? What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?" He asked.

Images from attacks on New York, Washington DC, Sokovia, and Lagos played on the TV. Brianna sat motionless, face blank as she watched.

"Okay. That's enough." Steve finally spoke up as he noticed the uncomfortableness in the air.

"For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution." He said and pulled out a thick book entitled 'The Sokovia Accords.' "The Sokovia Accords. Approved by 117 countries . . . it states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel, only when and if that panel deems it necessary."

The description of the book, or rules, caused her to shift in her seat. It was an odd thought that instead of just going whenever danger arises, they would need permission from 117 countries. Brianna found it to be both beneficial and harmful.

"The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that." Steve said.

"Tell me, Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now? If I misplaced a couple of 30 megaton nukes . . . you can bet there'd be consequences. Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground." Ross asked.

Brianna's eyes flashed up to meet Ross'. "They're not nukes Mr. Secretary. They're people. You just...don't understand them."

"My apologizes, Miss Barton." It didn't feel very apologetic though.