Chapter 26: Handled

Start from the beginning

"I just... I don't know, what if it backfires. I don't want you to get hurt or worse." I say worriedly.

"I am doing this so nothing bad happens to you. I'm keeping you safe and protected. I'm going to be okay Hermosa, I love you." He says still holding onto my hand.

"I love you too." I say before pressing my lips to his.

"When were you going to tell me what Cuchillos did to Ray?" I hear Cesar ask from behind me.

"Well I'm going to head back inside." I say giving the two a soft smile before getting up.

———————

"Yooo! What's up fam? It's 4pm here on the west coast. Or as my latino- correction, latinix peeps would say son las cuatro." Says Jamal before clicking his tongue.

He's walking around the 7Eleven on live. Well I guess we're supposed to be seen and on cameras.

"Look. I'm all about being seen, but not next to that." Says Ruby gesturing to Jamal's shirt.

"Leon? Leon works." Says Jamal looking down at his shirt.

"Right Jamila? Monse?" Shouts Jamal trying to get our approval.

I put my hands up to say I'm not saying anything and Monse shakes her head at him.

I stand beside Cesar, phone in hand waiting for Oscars call. Not saying anything just standing quietly, worrying. I zone out thinking of different scenarios to what could be happening right now, that I don't even notice Monse trying to get Cesar and I's attention.

"Finally. You guys look like you're waiting for a call you shouldn't be waiting for. Stop worrying, he's going to be fine." Reassure Monse but that doesn't mean anything to me and Cesar. We're going to continue worrying.

I zone out the rest of Monses pep talk as several scenarios of what could be happening with Oscar right now run through my head.

————————————

It's been 3 days and we haven't heard a thing from Oscar. I am beyond worried, the worry and anxiety I was feeling the night at 7Eleven can't even compare to how I'm feeling now.

Antonio hasn't let me out of the house since I got back from 7Eleven. And I am not allowed out of his sight until Oscar returns or calls. I overheard Antonio and the inner circle of the Santos talk about a suspicion they had, that 19th street switched sides. I've been trying to think positive- well not think at all, because stress is bad for a baby and I don't want anything bad to happen to it or any complications.

We are currently at the park, Santos day out. Barbecue, playing games and talking about anything that doesn't involve the gang. It's really refreshing and it's distracting me from thinking about Oscar.

I walk out of the bathroom and back to the picnic benches where the gang sits, to see Cesar chest to chest with Andres.

"What the hell." I mutter to myself as I quicken my pace.

Suddenly things look way more heated.

"Cesar!" I yell right as Andres grabs him roughly by the neck, turning my fast pace walk into a sprint.

"Relax! Relax!" Yells Antonio pulling them apart and pushing Andres away.

I make it to Cesar and I pull him back as Antonio pushes Andres back again. Cesar tried to move past me but I use all my strength to push him back and keep him put.

"Just get out there and find him!" Cesar yells past me to Antonio.

Antonio walks up to us and nods at me to let me know it's okay and he's got it. I nod back and step aside.