Chapter 12

Some days at the Hwarang house were strangely peaceful. No shouting, no conflicts, no argument to come across in the pavilions. Just groups of young men engaged in lighthearted conversation, strolling through the gardens and occasionally attending some work like cleaning the stables as they started to get used to the labor demanded of them. Even though a little voice in the back of Jia's head warned her not to be sucked into this temporary tranquility that had befallen this place, there was no harm in going along and enjoying a bit of peace, was there?

The sun was shining brightly, not a single cloud to be seen. The paths of white pebbles were glowing under the light of the sun, crunching under Jia's boots like shards of glass as she made her way down to the river.

It was probably her favorite place inside the walls of the Hwarang house, for two simple reasons. It was quiet and people came down here only once or twice a day so she had it to herself most of the time, no one interrupting her thoughts. And, probably just as important, it reminded her of home.

The river itself never directly entered the capital, only flowing along side it. The Hwarang house was located on the outskirts of the city and was the only way one could get to the river without leaving through the city gates. Further south, the river would flow into the open sea, though Jia had never been to the coast herself. But following the steam to the north would lead further into the wood, less than an hour away from the village of Makmangcheon where she grew up.

Over the time Jia had lived there she had spent about half of her wake time in the woods along the river or playing in the stream with Mak-moon and Sun-woo, at least when they were all younger. And even though this was not close to the same place back in the woods, it comforted her to know it was the same river.

Also the young woman simply loved the water. Bathing in the river might not be an option here, but she could still enjoy the cold water on her feet or the fresh, cold air around the stream. Was there anything more relaxing and recharging than water? Maybe that was what Laozi was talking about in his scriptures... The water of the river was breathing life into the area around it, nourishing the forest and the people loving near it. Even the rice fields drew part of their water from it. It was necessary for the survival of all beings.

So was this how a king was supposed to be? Spreading all he has, tirelessly pouring his every moment into improving the wellbeing of the people like the stream did? That made more sense. The kingdom would be a much better place if the Queen devoted herself to improve her country and do more for the people of Silla instead of focusing on her vendettas. But that wouldn't happen any time soon. As far as Jia could see, her mother was more interested in planning, politics and control... Would the kingdom be better off with her brother on the throne? He had been away from their mother as Jia had so there was a good chance he didn't become like her. She could only hope this was true. The country needed change...

The young woman had been so lost in thoughts on her way to the river that she almost tripped over the uneven stone leading down to the riverbanks and almost would have dropped her dirty robes. But this turned out to be luck in disguise because it brought her back to reality just in time to realize she wasn't alone. Two figures were standing before the river, both with their backs to her, talking. Without making a sound, she slinked backwards and took cover behind the tree line, peering at them from behind the leaves. While one of them was in Hwarang robes, the other had clothes of dark, simpler fabric. Judging by the streaks of gray in his rather untidy hair he wasn't even one of the young masters who did not join the Hwarang, he was a complete stranger.

Who was this Hwarang talking to? How did that person get in here? And was he...washing clothes? Who was this man and why would he break in for washing another Hwarangs clothes in the river? She couldn't just leave, could she? This intruder could pose a threat later on.