06 | Mysterio's Power

╔══════════════════╗

MISADVENTURES IN PARADISE
vi. MYSTERIO'S POWER

╚══════════════════╝

   IT WAS HARD IMAGINING times where Fury wasn't like this: strict, an asshole, the beholder of unreasonably high standards for his agents, especially Riley

   IT WAS HARD IMAGINING times where Fury wasn't like this: strict, an asshole, the beholder of unreasonably high standards for his agents, especially Riley. She was a force, after all. She had to be tamed, contained, and maybe it was for the best. Maybe he knew something about her that she had yet to learn about herself. Though as she grew older, her tolerance for it wore away, like overstretched elastic.

   Fury wasn't all bad. He was cautious but wise. Back then, he defended her most fiercely against those who didn't understand what he saw in her. His morals were gray, he was stingy with his smiles, and he never went anywhere without a gun in his clutch, but he wasn't bad at all. Fury was one of her first heroes before she knew any super ones.

   At the end of the day, Fury's interests aligned with protecting the world. So were Riley's. Their worlds just looked a little different these days.

   She circled back around the city, passing the cathedral where Peter and Beck were chatting. It was a relief that they seemed to be getting along. It gave her hope that her premature spikes of suspicion were nothing more than thoughts in her head. Then again, Peter was inexperienced. He didn't see a reason to distrust people. Not yet.

   Turning visible, she landed on the silent streets. Not a soul could be seen, as most were heading for the Carnival of Lights on the opposite end of the city. Riley was supposed to head there, too, as that was the predicted location of the final Elemental's appearance (Convenient, wasn't it? That the Fire Elemental happened to crave an audience?).

   "Riley?"

   Riley whipped around, clenched fists glowing alight, only to relax when she spotted Beck seated beside a dim streetlight, a newspaper clad in his hand.

   "Beck?" Riley greeted. But she could have sworn she saw him with Peter a minute ago. "What are you doing out here?"

   "The same as you, I assume. Getting some air before what could be the end of a long run. Mind if I join you?" Beck offered. She had no reason to oppose, so she nodded. "I'll admit, I needed some space after earlier. Is Fury always that intense?"

   "Unfortunately." She motioned to his newspaper. "Anything interesting?"

   "No clue. I don't speak Czech." Beck chuckled as he abandoned it on a rusted table. "Yeah, I've fought alongside plenty of troops like Fury in my day. I don't think it ever gets easier working with them. Though I'll admit, their drive is always strangely impressive."