Chapter 2 - First Encounter

Disclaimer - {Hasn't been fully edited, so you may come across spelling mistakes}

Apprehension seeped deeply into the cores of my body as we turned round into the driveway of my fathers home. I was struck again at how stunning his home was. It was two stories high and had a grand arched doorway. There was several balcony's that had gold, curved wiring and shuttered windows, the building was cream and had clean cut hedges on the outside and fully bloomed red rose bushes with grey marble stairs leading up to the main entrance, where two off-white sculptures stood. It screamed wealth and had a modernised rococo vibe. It made me feel a little intimidated. Here he was, living the dream in a beautiful home and people catering to his every need, while me and my mom lived in a plain apartment, as she worked tremendously hard working shift after shift at the hospital to ensure we made ends meet. I pulled out my earplugs - more aggressively than I intended and the sound of Nickelback's "Never Gonna Be Alone" faded. So many emotions rushed through me all at once, fear, disgust, anger, nerves and frustration - that I hadn't even noticed that Ralph had opened the car door for me. I didn't want to get out, but I knew I had no choice. Here goes. I slipped myself out of the car and slammed the door shut. I didn't care, it was clear he had more money than sense. Or else he would have provided for me for the last fifteen years. Ralph pinned me with a stern look as he retrieved my suitcase, I went to reach for it; but he pulled it back.

"I'll bring your bags in, Miss Beaumont" he said as he rolled my case along the pathway.

I just nodded as I turned round to face the house, it was huge. I gulped as I slowly made my way up the marble stairs, my heart was racing, my hands shaking, I felt like my knees were going to buckle. My converse made a squeaky sound as I ascended. This was it. I was finally facing my father after all this time. I never thought this day would come, especially during the nights when I would cry myself to sleep - yearning for my father to come home, to hug me, to read to me and to love me; but he never did. My father broke my heart before any other man could and even after all these years, it still hurts as if I am living in the moment of when he left.

I step in-front of the mahogany double doors that has a shiny gold doorbell on the right side, I reach out to press it and a chiming sound engulfs my senses. I am filled with dread, to escape the constant worry I distract myself by slowly counting the number of seconds it takes for them to answer the door. I wait, it isn't until I reach ten that I hear a key turn and the door unlock. A women answers, she is in a classic 'maid' uniform; black dress to her knees and a white apron tied around her slim waist, her hair is golden with streaks of silver, her face appears youthful but has slight lines under her piercing blue eyes. She smiles instantly when she sees me.

"Oh, Miss Beaumont, please do come in. I'm Lorraine" she gestures with her hand for me to enter, to which I do. The inside of the house is just as striking as the outside.

"Please, call me Blaire" I reply, my eyes drifting around the whole room. The walls were white and adorned with several gold framed pictures, they appeared old; men and women were pictured, naked and dancing around trees. There were two large, white double doors at the right side and a grandfather clock sat in between them. To the left there was a huge white staircase leading to the upstairs.

"So, your father is currently in his office upstairs and said he will see you at dinner. I'll take you up to your room in the meantime and get you settled in" Lorraine smiled and directed me upstairs. She seems really lovely and kind. I wondered how long she had been here for and if she perhaps knew about me and my fathers current relationship status.

or had he spouted some crazy lie that we have a fantastic bond?  

I actually begin to feel sympathetic for anyone who works here for my father. They may be under the impression that me and my dad are on good terms and will spend the summer together doing enjoyable father-daughter activities; however, that will most definitely not be happening. The house will be a raging war and the people in it will have to endure it.