₂₉. Fɪʀsᴛ Sᴜʙᴊᴇᴄᴛs

Start from the beginning

"But you didn't," he said, taking her hand "and you found me again. And you took care of me again, even when I was too stupid to see that you only wanted the best for me. And you loved me again, even when I didn't deserve it. And you forgave me again and again, even when I wouldn't have forgiven myself. "

"I love you, Peter." she said after seconds, hugging him

He rested his head in the crook of her neck, took a deep breath, and replied, a tear rolling down his cheek, "I love you, Emerson."

After a while, May joined them with hot chocolates and they talked more together. After having dinner at a Chinese restaurant, Emerson decided to go to her apartment. She took a shower, put on loose shorts and a t-shirt, put her hair in a messy bun and went to bed with her computer and phone. And seeing that it was only 11 p.m. in New York while it was 8 p.m. in San Francisco, she decided to call her goddaughter. The phone rang three times before anyone answered.

"Hello?" she heard

"Cassie?"

"Aunt Mer? Is that you?"

"Yea," she chuckled "merry Christmas, sweetie."

"Merry Christmas!"

"Did you have a good Christmas yesterday?"

"Yes, I got lots of presents, we ate lots of good stuff and went out in the rain, it was a lot of fun," she babbled "and I got your present and I'm so happy, it was exactly the one I wanted and Daddy got your sweater and he's wearing it right now, and I think he cried a little when he saw it-"

"Okay, give me that," Scott cut her off, snatching the phone away "sorry 'bout that." he said awkwardly and Emerson could easily imagine him scratching the back of his head

"It's okay, Merry Christmas Scott." she replied softly 

"Yeah, Merry Christmas," he said "just so you know, I didn't cry, okay? But I'm really grateful that you still send it to me, so thank you, mer."

"It's okay, don't worry," she smiled slightly "is Hope here?"

"Yes, I'm here!" she replied "Gimme that phone... Now!"

"Bye Mer."

"Bye Scott."

"Go away, Scott."

"Merry Christmas, Hope!" Emerson said more cheerfully

"Merry Christmas, mer," she sang "how was your party yesterday?"

"Um, complicated, how was yours?"

"Pretty fun actually. You know, we got my mom back so it felt good to finally have a family Christmas."

"Oh no, I didn't know! That's great, I'm really happy for you, Hope."

They talked some more then Emerson ended the conversation because she needed to sleep. Not that she wanted to, but she needed it if she was going to have the energy to go back to the compound the next day.

She woke up the next day, sweating and breathing hard. She looked around, not recognizing where she was, and tumbled out of bed. She opened her bedroom door and lay on the cold floor, struggling against the soldier who wanted to get through. She closed her eyes and exhaled.

"You are now going to be the first subjects of our experiments. And each of you should be grateful," the white man across from me shouts "you will have tests every morning, followed by training and then lessons. You will be allowed no mistakes and no rebellion. You will follow all orders given by any man on this base."