Making Breakfast

Começar do início

"So I guess it's a deal then." James said, giving Harry the half full bag of flour, which he quickly realized was not the smartest idea he'd ever had.

Harry promptly took the bag and shook it, sending a large puff of flour everywhere. When James rubbed his glasses free of flour, he turned to see Harry and half the kitchen under a thin layer of white powdery substance.

"Flo flo!" A completely white Harry shrieked happily.

James sighed.

"You know, after that time I left Sirius with that bag of Floo Powder, you'd think I'd know better." He said as Harry continued to play with the small pile of flour in front of him.

"And after the last time I left you two alone, you'd think I'd know better." said a voice from behind him.

James wheeled around to see Lily standing in the doorway, surveying her powdery white son and husband and the mess they'd made of the kitchen. Harry giggled behind him.

"The toast's burning by the way." Lily pointed behind him.

James turned to find two nicely burnt pieces of toast where there had previously been two pieces of bread pleasantly toasting.

"Oh, I think I know who's eating them." James said if a falsely stern manner, tossing a charred piece of toast onto the pile of flour before Harry, who took it and put it on his head, lost in a fit of laughter.

He turned back to Lily. "And what do you mean, 'the last time you left us alone'?"

Lily raised her eyebrows at him.

"Are you telling me you've forgotten the I-just-wanted-to-show-Harry-what-a-stag-looks-like incident?"

"Oh that," said James, waving his hand dismissively. "It wasn't that bad."

"Oh, so I guess you'd call putting holes in the wall and ceiling, breaking a rare enchanted vase, and almost murdering the cat 'not that bad'?"

"Yeah well, with a swish of my wand the wall and vase were fixed, and that cat had it in for himself after he scratched up my favorite cloak. Besides," James gestured to the kitchen. "It wasn't me this time, it was all yourson."

"Oh was it?" Lily said, stepping gingerly across the kitchen to avoid getting flour on herself. She looked at the powdered Harry and smiled a little. "Was it really all you Harry? Is daddy telling the truth?"

For a moment Harry looked rather guilty, but then he took a small handful of flour in his little hand and threw it at James.

"Hey!" said James.

"You're right James," Lily said, turning back to James, a small smile forming on her lips. "He really is my son."

James seemed to glare at them, but then a smirk appeared on his face.

"Oh really?" he said, raising his eyebrows. "Get her Harry!"

Harry took two little fistfuls of flour and threw them at his mother from behind. And as she turned around in surprise, he grabbed another small fistful and launched it right in her face.

Lily blew a small puff of flour out of her mouth and blinked it out of her eyes.

"You do know what this means, right?" she said quietly.

The kitchen was silent.

"Er-what?" James ventured to ask.

"This means," Lily said, walking around James to the cupboard that was behind him and reaching up into it. "War!"

Lily pulled out another bag of flour from the cupboard and dumped it on James's head. James grabbed handfuls of flour off the counter and flung them at her. Harry threw flour in every direction, shrieking with laughter.

Lily grabbed more handfuls of flour and threw them back at James, who lifted Harry from his highchair and held him in front of himself as a shield.

"I have a child! Cease fire, cease fire!" James shouted.

"No fair!" Lily yelled through her laughter as she gently tossed some flour at Harry.

"Hey, not at my son!" James said, placing Harry back into his highchair as Lily continued to throw flour at them.

As Lily, James, and Harry pelted flour at each other, they didn't notice that someone had appeared out of the fireplace in the sitting room, made his way down the hall toward the kitchen, and stick his head into the doorway.

"Hey what's going on in he-"

Before Sirius even had time to find cover, a rather large handful of flour hit him squarely in the face.

"Prongs! Is this for that time with the Floo Powder? I thought we were over that!"