"Oh my goodness, Jennie! Where are they going to go ?"

--

"And what are you going to do with a degree in political science?" Winter's second aunt peers at her suspiciously and Karina feels her cheeks blaze under the inquisition.

It's the third time she's been accosted by a family member she's sure shouldn't know her and questioned about herself. Winter's family are intense to say the least and she's beginning to wonder if she could grab her bags and make a speedy escape halfway through the party.

"Well," Karina struggles, "international relations is very interesting. Or the media and politics, that's an area-"

"Yes but what job ?" Winter's second aunt is ruthless, cutting through her without mercy and Karina gapes at her.

"I suppose... maybe working with the UN? Or in journalism? Or in government?" She rambles, trying desperately to catch Jisoo's eye.

"I don't trust the government," Winter's aunt intones and Karina hums softly. Jisoo meets her gaze from where she's leaning against the back of a couch, talking to Ms Pi and Rosé and gives her a smirk, shaking her head.

"Karina!" The figure appears at her side like an angel, hooking fingers around her arm and drawing her away. "I've been looking for you everywhere, sorry Aunty, I have to borrow her for a moment."

The wicked aunt melts away at the sight of Winter, beaming and nodding. "Of course dear!"

"Come on," Winter mutters, dragging her through the crowds of relatives, dodging questions with smiles and waves and promises to return in a moment until they emerge into the hallway.

"Oh my god," Karina collapses against the bannister, "your family are insane Winter, I've been asked so many questions I barely know who I am any more!"

"Sorry," Winter laughs quietly, tugging at her hand to draw her back up again. "I don't know what's come over them, but I have the perfect cure." She produces an open bottle of champagne from behind her back, smiling mischievously.

Karina eyes it doubtfully for a moment, "I shouldn't... I have to travel soon."

"Well sure," Winter smile turns innocent, swinging the bottle in her fingers. "If we don't stay out here we could go back in there, I think Grandpa has some beautiful vacation pictures to show us."

Karina laughs, stealing the bottle from Winter's fingers as she tries to turn back to the living room. "Fine," At Winter's laugh she shakes her head, smiling fondly. "You're a monster Winter."

Winter only grins at her, watching as she takes a swig from the bottle before taking it from her, drinking calmly as Karina attempts to contain the bubbles fizzing in her nose.

"I'm glad you stayed for the party," Winter tells her softly, when Karina reaches out to take the bottle again and Karina allows herself a more controlled sip.

"Me too, despite your relatives," She smirks and Winter rolls her eyes, tapping her shin gently with her foot. "I'm only kidding," Karina placates her as she takes another gulp, "it must be so nice to have so much of your family around. I'm kind of jealous."

"It is nice," Winter's smile is tinted with sadness and Karina touches her elbow, carefully drawing her away from her thoughts. Winter's smile brightens when her eyes land back on the brunette. "My family are well meaning, some of them are nice. Grandma , Uncle Min."

"I'm sure they are," Karina can't keep the fond smile from her face and when Winter edges closer she lets her lean into the cradle of their hips so that their faces are close enough that she could reach out and kiss her.

"I wish you were staying," Winter's confession comes in a whisper and Karina's stomach twists at the words, longing sliding like warm wine through her veins and perhaps it is that, or perhaps it is the champagne that makes her drop her head to rest against Winter's shoulder and admit.

"Me too."

A beat of silence passes, in which she hears Winter suck in a sharp burst of air. Her next words seem to sit tentatively beneath them, like a skater on fragile ice.

"Then stay. Please."

The soft pleading makes Karina raise her head, meeting Winter's eyes uncertainly. "I shouldn't. I need to keep studying and... your mom, people will realise if I stay here."

"I don't care ." Before she knows what's happening, Winter surges towards her, pressing Karina back into the banister as she catches her lips in a wet, hot kiss. She breaks away and leaves them both gasping, her fingers sliding gently over Karina's cheeks. "Really. I want you here Karina, please stay with me."

"The risk..." Her argument crumbles like Christmas cookies under Winter's tender touch and soft eyes.

"Screw the risk." Winter's eyes slide up and her lips tilt into a wry smile. "If anyone sees us, we'll just blame it on the mistletoe."

Karina follows her gaze and sees the delicate white blooms above them, waxy leaves spreading out like hands. Winter's breath is hot against her cheek, tempting and smelling faintly of champagne and Karina is torn with indecision.

"Did you know mistletoe is actually poisonous? It can cause vomiting and stomach pain and-"

"Karina." Winter cuts through her, drawing her attention back down to the beautiful girl beside her. Winter's eyes are dancing with mirth, plump lips wet and grinning. "Shut up and kiss me."

Karina's arms wind around her waist and she gathers Winter close to herself, their lips meeting in a tender touch. Fingers curl into her hair, tracing soft patterns at the back of her neck and she lets her palms greedily follow the curve of Winter's hips. She wants to be as close to her as possible, wants to feel her touch for hours to come and smell her perfume under her skin. Winter's nose brushes gently against hers, lips opening to probe for Karina's tongue when a noise from the living room doorway makes them startle apart.

"Guys..."

They jump back from one another, spinning to look and Karina prays that the ground will open up beneath her when she sees Ms Pi, Jennie, Jisoo and Rosé in the doorway, staring at them.