t h i r t y s i x

Start from the beginning

Steve took one last look at the car still tailing them as they drove into Brooklyn, it was nothing a icy Captain America glare couldn't handle.

"Yeah," Steve replied, "We'll be fine."

Robert stopped the car.

"Put your hood up, Em." Steve instructed, pointing at the hoodie she was wearing. He was pretty sure it was his hoodie, since it looked more like a dress on her, but it was a considerably cold day even though it was June, and despite wearing jean shorts, Ember still wanted to wear the hoodie out. Steve swore they weren't going to a fancy place, so he shrugged and she wore it. It's not like it was his place to tell her what to wear, anyways.

Ember eyed him suspiciously, and went to ask him why, but he gave her the look, and she knew better than to argue with him when he was being serious.

Steve put his baseball cap on, and took a pair of sunglasses out from the back of the seat, and putting them on. It wasn't even sunny, but if anyone asked, he'd say it was a fashion statement. A phrase he has noticed was used a lot in 21st century America.

"Just take my hand and keep your head down."

Steve hopped out of the car and walked around to the other side and opened Embers door for her, keeping his head down and face out of view from the car that had stopped behind them.

He took her hand and waved goodbye to Robert, and began walking down the Brooklyn streets. Steve still felt a sense of familiarity as they walked past the old brownstones, and the cafes, it felt like home. If he ever settled enough, maybe with Ember, and he lay down the shield, this was where he'd want to grow old in.

Physically old, that is.

He wasn't really sure if the normal life he had always dreamed about was ever going to be possible, at this point he had accepted it, but deep down he wouldn't mind settling down, having a kid or two, getting married, fuck it, he wouldn't even mind having a mortgage if it meant having a family.

"Yeah! Yeah, that's them, yes she's with him." Steve heard voices from behind them and instinctively sped up the pace that they were walking, putting his arm around Embers shoulders and holding her closer to him, both keeping their heads down, or gaze on each other so that Steve could give her a comforting glance assuring everything would be okay.

He let out a long sigh as he heard them running behind them, there was a group of four or five, he was trying not to look too much. But he wished he had his shield to throw and knock each of them out like bowling pins when the camera flashes started.

"Captain Rogers! Mr America, Sir? How do you feel about the newest member of the Avengers? You two look pretty close, have you got anything to say about this?"

"Shit." Steve hissed under his breath. He thought they'd just be paparazzi, he didn't expect reporters.

"Don't say anything, all they'll do is make a headline out of it." He warned her, not in a condescending way, this was just all new to her and he didn't want her to feel overly uncomfortable with the situation.

Anyone would feel uncomfortable with random strangers taking pictures of you, but knowing what was actually going on made the situation slightly less frightening.

The paparazzi and reporter followed them all the way until they had reached the destination that Steve had planned on taking her. Maybe because it was private property, they'd fuck off.

It was a small Italian restaurant. Old fashioned, and had been here since the 30s. Steve had so many memories here, when he first got out of the ice he visited every day. It was the only familiar place in an unfamiliar world.