#EWCMS1 entry number 1

tw: mentions of witch-hunting, mentions of war

𝔟𝔬𝔴𝔦𝔢 𝚒𝚜 𝚝𝚢𝚙𝚒𝚗𝚐...

writing prompt: hope.

as i ran through the forest, i realized i no longer felt the dreadful fear i had always felt as a child. the kind i felt as i cowered under the bed, 𝗵𝗼𝗽𝗶𝗻𝗴 for the king's knights to pass by the little hut i used to live in.

this war was never mine, nor was it my mother's, and yet here i was.

that dreadful feeling was replaced with longing. a longing to get this over with already so i didn't have to constantly be on the run, fearing for my life.

i was ready to give up.

as i began to slow down, the dreadful feeling almost completely gone, i started to notice the things around me.

the haze of white had disappeared and i saw the life around me.

a mother bird taking food to her babies, completely unaware of the armored men chasing the defenseless girl.

the trees and flowers swaying in the wind, and the way the light shone through the treetops.

the faint sight of a doe prancing through a nearby meadow, careless and free.

and so, i felt another feeling blossoming in my chest.

hope.

it all reminded me of why i stayed alive, why i kept fighting back, why i ran, why i refused to give up.

my mother.

she gave her life to protect me. she said that i could be the one to end this war, that i was the only one who truly understood my power.

she was my life, and it felt like i had nothing to live for when she was killed by the king's men.

but i knew i couldn't die now.

not when i had made it so far, not so soon after she'd died when she seemed so confident in my abilities.

i couldn't let her down.

i finally came to a stop, the knights surrounding me.

"finally gave up, have you?" the captain taunted.

i chuckled, feeling my power slowly build up in my palms, "no, captain."

the rest of the knights began looking wary, seeing as my hair had started floating behind me, but they stood their ground. fine, their mistake.

i finally looked up at the captain, who had moved toward me.

"i just finally found the hope i needed."