Right Person, Wrong Time

Start from the beginning

I look over myself one more time making sure everything looks right. All this heavy jewelry isn't me but it's what everyone wanted. I lift my earrings up a little to take the pressure off for a few seconds. As I do that I focus on my lengha. It's funny because Karan and I always said I looked best in red but Nikhil's family wanted me in this light pink color. I was going to argue to change it but it doesn't really matter. If it makes them happy for me to wear this, I'm fine with it. I finally take my eyes away from myself and notice the reflection of the man leaning up against the door frame.

"Karan! You're here"

I turn around and there he is with his arms crossed over his chest. He's wearing a black tuxedo but has the blazer in his hand. Oh god, he looks so good in that white shirt. I hate him for looking so attractive. It's unfair and I shouldn't even be looking at him like that. He still hasn't said anything but won't take his eyes off of me. When I'm a foot away from him I stop.

"So how do I look" I gesture to myself and do a little spin.

His eyes look me up and down and I force the butterflies in my stomach to die down. Stop Teja. You really can't do this.

"Why are you staring at me?"

He seems to shake himself out of something and looks back at me. He smiles and laughs while saying, "Just thinking about how you do look a little chubby, just like a laddoo."

Of course, he'd try to annoy me like this on my wedding day too. I go up to him and hit his shoulder. "I hate you."

I turn around to walk away but he grabs my wrist. "No, you don't"

I pull my hand from his grip and walk backward towards the vanity. "You're right. I guess I love you" but I just wish I didn't. I take a seat by the vanity and finish putting on my bangles. In the mirror I see him sitting on the couch.

He leans back into the couch and lets out a breath. "So why were you losing your shit asking me to come"

"Well, firstly it's not like I'd get married without having you here. Second I needed your moral support. Third I wanted a guy's opinion on what to get him as a gift"

He rolls his eyes and walks over to the table with all the packed gifts. He looks over at me and asks "He gets to marry you. Isn't that enough of a gift?"

I don't let myself read into his words because I know I'm probably overthinking it. "Oye stop trying to flatter me out of having to choose"

Without even glancing at the boxes for ten seconds, he picks one up and holds it out to me. "This one"

I roll my eyes. "That's not fair you didn't even properly look"

He hands the box over to me and goes towards the couch. "Teja I cannot stress enough that he doesn't care. If that's what he cares about tonight, then you're really not going to have a fun-"

Before he can even finish that sentence I grab a pillow near me and throw it at him.

"Shut up."

He makes the motion of zipping his lips and sits back down. Not even a minute passes by before he asks "So how are you feeling now"

"Hmm better but still feels weird that everything's going to change."

"Ya you're going to be busy with... him. With your new life" He struggles to get that sentence out and I decide to let that topic go.

I make a show of looking around and ask "So you didn't bring a girl to the wedding?"

"First of all, there hasn't been a girl in like six months. Second, there's no one I would want to bring here."