Chapter 14: Bat

Chapter 14: Bat

I don't recall ever getting really sick as a child. Of course like anyone, I've had my bad days, but I was always reletively a healthy kid. I never had the stomach flu or the chicken pox like most people get when they're young.

My parents always told me it was because I was a stubborn girl and willed myself not to get sick, and I used to believe them.

However, now as I retch up whatever caffeinated concoction that's been keeping my body going, I feel all those years of health and well being catching up with me. I feel the exhaustion of the past few days hit me straight on aswell. Everything feels significantly heavier and my jaw is sore, maybe because of the ball Kelly hit me with or maybe because of the unfortunate situation I am in now, who knows.

I saw it.

My house. I imagined it, well hallucinated it. Is that what it's called? Hallucinated? It couldn't of been a nightmare just now, because I wasn't even asleep and my eyes were barely closed for a second. If that's all its going to take for one of these things to happen I don't know what I'm going to do. I want them to stop.

I grasp the porcelain of the toilet to keep myself from falling onto the cold tiled floor of the washroom. Leaning my head against the wall of the stall, I wait to see if anything else decides to come up, when it doesn't I shakily grab the lever and pull it down flushing the toilet.

My vision blurs in and out of focus making everything around me move, the toilet included, making me clutch onto it even tighter.

This is the weirdest feeling ever.

"Stella?"

I freeze from my spot on the floor, which I didn't think possible seeing as I wasn't even moving. I hear him knock on the stall door. I feel my skin start to tingle when a chill makes its way through my body.

"Please go away," I said, mentally cursing this situation, "This is the girls bathroom Jared, you can't be in here."

"Actually, you ran into the boys."

Just perfect

"Open up," Jared said, his voice softer than I thought possible as he taps the stall door.

"No, please just go away ," I said. I feel a tingling sensation in my throat and let a cough out.

"Stella, let me in," He taps on the stall door harder, his voice turning worried.

"Why do you care?" I ask in frustration. Closing my eyes, I lean my head back on the wall harder than I thought. I bring my legs up to my chest and wrap my arms around them. Jared had been extremely nice to me ever since we met and it's a little enerving, flattering and really nice, but still a little enerving.

Despite what Andrea told me on my first day about people just being nice, I still find it hard to believe. Call it what you want, but I find it odd. This is high school. No one finds friends this easy. No one lives under the same roof as an extremely attractive male of no blood relation either, or maybe they do, but that's not the point.

"I'm not going to leave you
sitting here on the floor in the boys washroom, Stella. Let me help you."

I hear the door of the washroom being pushed open, the footsteps barely making it into the room before they stop.

"Go somewhere else," Jared said, his voice laced with authority.

"Alpha, I really have to go," The voice said.

Alpha? Nickname? If not, I don't know how you forget a name as simple as Jared.

"Then I suggest you hurry to the other washroom." Jared said to the boy and a moment later I hear the door slam shut.

I feel my leg start to cramp and take it as a sign I should probably get up. I use the toilet as leverage and lift my body up from the floor. I sway on my feet for a second trying to gain balance.

I slide the lock open and then the door to reveal a very concerned looking Jared standing in front of me. If I still wasn't so nauseous I would've laughed at how adorable he looks when his eyebrows are creased. Then I'd laugh again because the word 'adorable' and 'Jared' weren't meant to be used together in a sentence.

I push passed the small opening between him and the door, my shoulder brushing his on the way to the sink. I let the cold water of the tap warm up for a second then wash my hands. I clean myself up not forgetting for a second about the gaze on me the whole time.

"What's wrong, Stella?" Jared asks from behind me.

"Nothing's wrong." I continue to scrub my hands.

"I know this isn't just about some accident in gym class," I hear him coming closer to me.

I stiffen wondering what he must be thinking.

"Oh, really?" I cotinue scrubing my hands even though they are already clean. What can he possibly know? I think back to the incident in the cafeteria

My hands start turning red from the rubbing, so I shut the tap.

I turn around to look at Jared, he runs a hand through his hair roughly making the strands stand on point momentarily before falling loosely back over his head.

"I mean are you okay?" He takes a step closer, making me take a step back defensively.

"No, that's not what you meant" I said quickly, even if I did tell him what was happening to me, what would I say?

"I'm fine Jared, please just go."

"I can tell when you're lying you know," He takes another step closer to me. I feel the cold ceramic of the sink press into the small of my back. He reaches up and puts his hand on my neck gently, his fingers calloused over my skin. "Your heartbeat quickens and-" I feel a warm sensation erupt inside me when he runs a finger down my neck slowly, "you have a little vein that pops out right here."

I supress a sigh that is dangerously closed from escaping my lips. That nauseous feeling I had only moments ago has disappeared. Looking into his eyes that are now a darker shade of his brilliant green ones has my insides doing somersaults, however when I see a small, but ever so present flash of a smirk form on his lips, I snap out of it.

"My heartbeat?" What drugs is he on?

"Yes, your heartbeat," His finger lingers on my neck making it increasingly harder to concentrate on anything but his skin on mine.

"You must be a bat if you can hear that," I said "You going to start sleeping upside down now?"

"You never know," He shrugs, a cheeky smile forming on his lips. His lips.

Cheese and rice.

"You distracted me," he said, shaking his head as a grin christens his lips.

Stop looking at his lips Stella!

I barely register what he just said, to distracted with him being this close to me to pay attention.

"I distracted you?"

"Yeah," He removes his hand from my neck but doesn't move away from me. "Back to my question, are you going to answer it?"

No.

When I don't reply he grabs my wrist gently in his hand, turning it over between us. His thumb skims over the underside on my wrist making little sparks erupt beneath my skin.

Is he like permanently electrostatically charged?

"You can tell me," He said, his thumb skimming beneath the material of my sleeve.

He needs to leave this alone.

"We all have secrets, Jared. Everyone does, it's inevitable not to. Just because we have them doesn't mean we have to share them, I don-"

"You're scared Stella, I see it. You can't fool me into thinking you're fine, because I won't believe it."

When I don't speak he continues, "I want to help you, whatever it is, you just have trust me."

You can't just give trust away, trust is earned and I should remember that before his smoldering good looks brainwash me into thinking otherwise.

***
Sorry.