"You will have my support, when we..." It was on the tip of his tongue. Oh, bloody, bleeding hell.

"When we what?" Georgia asked completely unconvinced and unsure of everything in that moment.

"Marry." He said simply, finally, but Georgia couldn't help but notice the small look of mock horror that crossed his face when he said it. She slumped her shoulders and shook her head.

She felt a whirlwind of emotions hit her all at once. She wasn't standing in front of the Duke of Richmond any longer. She was undoubtedly back in her parents home the day the deal had been sealed. The day fate led her to a loveless marriage.

The universe was certainly mocking her. After everything she had been through, the last thing she wanted to end up in for the second time in her life was another loveless marriage. She thought back to the woman she had seen Francis with at the Cashwell's annual tea party and the words Vivienne spoke back at the fair when she mentioned that the woman must had been his lover, and was probably still his lover. She hadn't the slightest clue, but the realization nearly made her feel as if the wind had been knocked out of her and she was desperately clinging on for air.

"I cannot." She spoke the words, but her mouth went dry and she tried to swallow the air that was around them, but still felt as if she were suffocating. She felt suddenly sick to her stomach. "Who w-was that woman that you were with at the Cashwell's tea party? I saw you dance together. Tell me."

Her eyes met his again and he froze all over. "That is besides the point. We will marry. If you will have me, that is." Well, that wasn't so hard after all. Francis thought to himself. They rather got on pretty well, and at least he could enjoy bed sport without having to sneak around. The idea wasn't bad at all.

"No." Georgia said at last. "I will not marry you, for you do not love me. I cannot and I will not accept such a match." She shook her head. She would never be fooled again. She would never stand on a man's word who was already in love with someone else. Someone other than her.

"Georgia, don't be rash-..." Came Francis's voice, but she shook her head once again then raised her gaze to meet his defiantly.

"I said, no." And then, she turned and walked away. Slipped out of the ballroom door and he all but let her, watching her go because he could never give her what she wanted, and perhaps what she deserved. He could never love her. He swore an oath to himself after Lucia crushed his ducal heart. He would never love another woman with that same fierceness, with that same stupidity all over again.

He had to let her go. So why did that hurt him more than he, himself even wanted to admit? No, he wouldn't dwell on this. Feelings of love were of no consequence in his world.

The next morning at breakfast she refused to meet his eye, but that didn't stop him from watching her

The next morning at breakfast she refused to meet his eye, but that didn't stop him from watching her. Even when all his unexpected guests or truly friends readied themselves for their journeys back to their own homes and Georgia's stubbornness still caused her to refuse to meet his eye.