Finale, Pt. 2: Storm of Steel

Start from the beginning

Agda watched as Jürgen's cape receded, a black substance that looked like ash covered the open wound and began to seal it. Jürgen watched the berserker jump to their feet before holding their remaining throwing axe by its handle. As the berserker charged Jürgen the knight threw the axe, it's sharpened edge cutting through the face of its original wielder.

Agda slowly stood up, taking her spear and raising it near her face. She rested the front end on the top of her round shield. Jürgen painfully lifted his longsword, looking at the young Viking woman. He let out a slightly tired breath.

Horses and soldiers fell around them. Blood flew through the air and flowed into the ground. Arrows were stuck in shields, axes and swords were still lodged in dead bodies. Agda took a deep breath and adjusted one foot.

Agda: 'One blow to end this...'

Jürgen noticed her foot placement and adjusted his guard. She would try to take a jab at him to his right side. Agda made a quick dash forward, yelling a Viking war-cry as Jürgen pushed himself forward as well. The world moved slowly between them. Agda thrusted her spear straight forward as Jürgen moved his sword to his right.

Agda could hear the screeching of iron plating being pierced through. She could feel the heavy weight of Jürgen's body on the blade end of her weapon. Just below where his heart sat was Agda's spear. Jürgen could feel the cold steel blade push through his flesh. Blood suddenly spilled from the sides of his mouth.

The young knight grimaced in pain as he fell to one knee, almost dropping his sword. He couldn't believe he had just made a mistake like that. Jürgen glanced at the world around him. He could see his army being driven back, outnumbered by the Viking horde. The edges of his visor became darkened and blurry. Two Vikings, a Warlord and a Raider stood next to Agda. They looked down at Jürgen with disgust.

Jürgen's eyes burned bright as he tried to stand. But his attempt to stand was met with a blade. The Warlord drove his short sword into the right side of Jürgen's chest. Blood poured from the wound.

*Thump*

Jürgen: 'Fight...'

*Thump*

Jürgen: 'Fight...'

*Thump*

The Raider kept his eyes on Jürgen. He saw the flame within the young warrior refusing to burn out. Then and there he felt the smallest amount of respect for the young knight. He refused to die. But the Viking knew what he had to do. The Raider took his axe and swung the heavy weapons edge into the left side of Jürgen's rib cage. Iron screeched and bones cracked and split as more blood poured from the sides of Jürgen's paling lips.

*Thump*

Jürgen: 'Get up...'

*Thump*

Jürgen: 'Get...'

*Thump*

Jürgen: 'Up...'

The warm spring air of Ashfeld began to feel cool to Jürgen's exposed skin and open flesh. He felt weak in his limbs. His hand opened, dropping his long sword. His heart began to beat slowly as Agda and her commanders pulled their weapons from his body. Jürgen stood on both of his knees, blood pouring from his wounds, his cape and armor desperately trying to keep him alive. Jürgen could feel something in his body begin to take over. It wasn't a feeling of power, more like a feeling of tiredness.