Chapter 35: Vaya Con Dios

Author's POV

"Clark, you have to take care of Dawoud! Adriana has lost it and I don't know what she will do to him."

Clark looked at his brother, who in reality was his half-brother but saw him as more than that. To him he was his brother and being from different moms did not change that.

"Why has she gone down this road to where she is hurting her son?" Clark questioned. "What is she even after?"

Ahmet sighed, and it became obvious to Clark that he was under a lot of emotional turmoil because he and his son were walking on a thin line that could break loose at any moment.

"I have suspicions about Adriana but that I also cannot confirm" said Ahmet. "But to keep you and Dawoud safe, the less you know the better because again, if my hunch turns out to be true, there's no telling what will happen. That's why you need to keep him safe!"

"But how can I look out for Dawoud when he's likely going to leave even if something happens to you? He wants to return to Beirut."

"You are Superman. You can get to Beirut in a breeze" Ahmet laughed.

"True, but I would prefer if he stayed here. That way he can have stability."

"Clark, you need to understand that while you want to provide that stability for him, it's not going to happen here. This place has destabilized his life and everything else that ever mattered to him. So please, don't force him into something he doesn't want to be forced into."

Clark understood his brother's point of view but Clark being overprotective of those who were his, wanted to get his brother to convince his son to stay in Smallville. But he also knew he was not going to force him into a situation he did not want to be in, so he realized he was likely going to have to persuade Dawoud, though he took into account that was likely going to be easier said than done.

"Brother, Dawoud is vulnerable as well as emotionally. If you take him he's not going to learn to deal with his problems."

"He's dealt with enough, Clark!" Ahmet got a bit tough. "He grew up on Earth-2 only to later get thrown here into Earth-Prime with no warning. His life was turned upside down and you have to understand that."

"Fine" Clark said, defeated.

He was going to try and convince Dawoud to stay behind even if his brother objected to it, but either way he was going to find a way to convince him to stay. But he knew he had to do his homework and investigate Adriana. She had become an enigma to his brother, who his brother loved with all his heart, being his wife.

It had become very obvious that Adriana was holding back something crucial that could very well further turn her son's life upside down. If he figured out what was going on, only then would he be able to protect his nephew.

***

Dawoud's POV

The next few days went by in a breeze and while I had promised Lois I would rethink my decision to leave, I knew in my heart I could not satisfy her. Beyond that, it was more due to no longer wanting to be here. I wanted to go back to Earth-2 so badly but I was banned from ever returning, so I had to go for Plan B and I preferred to be around my culture and my people.

That was the only thing that was going to give me a measure of peace and a sense of belonging.

Here, I did not belong and as a result, I did not feel comfortable. I didn't want to upset Lois because she was the literal embodiment of my Lois. But even I could not make her happy by making myself unhappy.