Is this a different song? I think as I open my eyes to visually study her as she continues to play.

Her fingers move inconsistently about the keys and the resulting music displays an antagonistic theme. Both hands inharmonious. Both hands unbalanced, at odds, and unable to coexist within the theme of a tune.

"You could say physical things, like bouncing-" With her right hand, she taps away at higher pitched keys to perform a happy tune.

"Or use weather type words, like thunderous-" With the left hand, she slams down on the deeper notes to bring out a devilishly bold chord of sounds.

Noticing how her mood has also shifted with the melody, I grow concerned for her. My heart breaking at the painful expression on her face, her eyes squeezed shut. Both hands still out of sync, I raise up onto my hands to swing my legs out and bring myself to sit at the edge of the bed. My eyes watching as she goes into a frenzy, playing loudly and rocking forward and back away from the keyboard.

"What about how I feel?!" She strains through gritted teeth, her jaw ticking as tears border along her lower lashes. "Where are the words for that, huh?!"

Her bottom lip suddenly tucks painfully hard under her front teeth as she opens her eyes to look down at her hands with bewilderment. Her breathing is choked, as if she is struggling to swallow down a still-beating heart.

   Finally, her hands come to an agreement but the melody is a horrendous mess of sorrow and anguish. I feel my heart strings tug with pain as my own eyes become blurred with tears.

   The music tells me that she's hurting... bad.

"Because I wanna' die... all the time!" When her throat releases this gut wrenching cry, I lunge up and reach my arms out for her.

Standing at her side, I pull her away from from the keyboard into my chest, holding her there.

    "It's okay..." I whimper, feeling trembling hands wrap around me and grip the back of my shirt as she sobs into my chest.

   Though her cries seem uncontrolled, the strain and seething of her breathing tells me that she is still holding something back. Holding in something that is dangerously on the verge of taking full claim to her sanity.

   Hopelessness.

   "Let it out, sweetheart." I recommend.

   I rock us softly, rubbing my palm up and down her back, enabling her to comfortably relinquish her pain through these painful tears of hers.

   "I got you, baby. I'm right here."

   A few moments pass and her embrace grows heavy against me. I had been convinced of her exhaustion from the moment I saw her at the window and the guilt for that is also eating at me. I run a hand across her hair to smoothen it out before kissing the top of her head.

   "Come." Leaning away slightly, I help bring her to her feet before guiding us to my bed.

   Her cries have dwindled down to a light pant as I remove her shoes and pants before removing my own clothes and crawling under the covers next to her. I hush her lowly as I hold her warm body against me until she can drift to sleep. The even sounds of her breathing helps calm me down and eventually fall asleep as well.

_______________

   Half-asleep, I feel a gentle touch along my collarbone. Warm lips cover my neck in simple kisses before I feel the steam of hot breath blaze my skin.