Chapter 1

The last thing anyone on earth would choose to be in this economy is a clown I believe we all have dreamed of growing up and integrating ourselves in the entertainment business. Whether it be a musician, actor, athlete, politician, or TV personality, we all understood it's affects and impact on society.

There is a clown. His name wasn't Bobo, nor bubbles, but Chuckles. Chuckles prepared for a gig by drinking 3 shots of Hennessy before each routine. He also wound down with an additional 2 shots. Chuckles whose real name is Phillip would smear makeup unevenly on his already pale face, put on a half blue half red wig, pop on his bright red nose, and go to work.

Chuckles was a natural at making children laugh, and even more natural at abusing himself on stage of course. His dignity was worth the dollars. It's not that he did too much, but inside he was bored of the silly antics. A few false trips here and there, and an occasional pie to the face by the birthday boy or girl. Chuckles always hoped for girls, they had weak hands and didn't try to smear the pan even deeper in his face.

On break Chuckles would smoke a Newport cigarette. Sometimes he would put it out on the back of his hand in order to feel. I guess the alcohol numbed him. Chuckles was on break at a birthday party relaxing as usual. He lights the cigarette away from the kids at the parents request. "It's always at the parents request" he thought "they don't want their precious monsters around smoke".

Birthday boy Joseph happens upon Chuckles following his trail and rubbing his eyes, attempting to dry his tears.

"Mr. Chuckles can you come back to my party and do the animal balloon trick pwease?" Joseph asks.

"Can't you see I'm on break kid? I'm entitled to a lunch break." Chuckles replies.

"But your not eating, you are supposed to make me laugh!" Joseph cries.

"Look you little runt, get the fuck outta here before you go missing like your little brother!!"

Joseph runs away crying, confused, and terrified. He had no other siblings, but Chuckles made sure to imprint that image in Joseph's mind. Chuckles smiles as he takes his last puff of his cigarette.