xviii. teamwork makes the dream work

chapter eighteen
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

"So... we have a pet fish now?"

Maeve stood off to one side as the girls peered into Echo's fishbowl (they apparently hadn't noticed the tank while moving in yesterday) and frowned at Allison's words, quick to correct her,"No, I have a pet fish."

Dan looked up,"We can all contribute to taking care of it if you'd like."

"I wouldn't like." Maeve said, even though she'd already asked Renee that if she would be okay with feeding him in the case that Maeve wanted to disappear for a few hours.

The girl had beamed and said she'd be more than happy to do so and even asked if she could add to Echo's current environment, Maeve had no problem with that and told Renee to do as she liked. Since she'd gotten Echo, she'd already gone back and bought him a bigger tank after extensive research on how to take care of bettas, though she hadn't gotten around to adding more to his space beyond that.

     Allison rolled her eyes at her, but they dropped it as she and Dan split up to get ready for the first day of summer practice, Maeve took advantage of the fact that Renee was an early riser and had long since been ready.

She smiled warmly as she followed her beckon to the door,"Is everything alright?"

"I need a favor."

     Kevin frowned as he watched all but two of his teammates file into the gym, Wymack noticed it too after a few minutes of staring down at his clipboard and turned a look on Dan,"What's taking those two so damn long?"

Dan's expression turned guilty.

Allison flicked them all a cool look when the former didn't say anything and everyone turned to her, Wymack narrowed his gaze.

"Don't tell me they went to the court."

Allison shrugged, so Dan finally spoke up,"We don't know, we were all together this morning, but Allison and I still had to get ready and when we walked out again they were already gone. They didn't say anything about leaving, but Maeve's motorcycle wasn't in the lot either. We figured she wanted to talk to Renee so she gave her a ride here, she does that sometimes, talking to her separate from us, though I don't think they went to the court."

"She's gonna be the death of me." Wymack grumbled, but didn't explain further as he reached for his phone and presumably dialed Maeve's number. The Foxes waited in curiosity, silent enough that when the line eventually went to voicemail, they all heard it.

Kevin didn't expect Wymack to waste time with one, but was proved wrong as the man spoke into his phone.

"When I said to wait for the first day of practice, this is not what I meant. You better have a damn good reason for not being here and for taking my goalie with you. If you're not here tomorrow, I swear—"

He was cut off by a beep and grumbled even more before dialing again, when the automated message played for a second time he hung up. Kevin was about to suggest they dial Renee when Wymack turned a look on Matt, who understood and pulled out his own phone. He was surprised when it only took two rings for a voice on the other end to respond.