Chapter 7

It's been long since that incident happened. The incident that turned our lives 180 degrees. The incident that molded not only Mom, but also Threin and me.
We were never the same again.
Yesterday is my seventeenth birthday. But who cares? Nobody seems to remember my birthday anymore. The only event everyone remembers is that night when 144 humans were reported dead in Somalia after a great battle.
A battle where in only six Gardes were killed against a battalion of Somalian pirates.
But it still wasn't a mission accomplished. Rather, it was a shameful display of retaliation by the Lorics.
Mom was not put behind the bars though, because it was clear that Meelek had plan this attack to not only disturb Lorien but also weaken its defense faculty.
Threin on the other hand had suffered extreme trauma for quite some time. He could not focus for more than forty five minutes. He's been haunted by the blood bath that happened that night where in he almost became one of the casualties.
But as soon as he had developed his legacies at the age of ten (a little earlier than normal), he became vicious. And his motto in life became "train and train to kill Meelek" which is stupid because we've been sparing for years now and he would not let me win a single spar because he thinks he's saving the day from Meelek every time we train together.
Lately he's been giving me combinations of his flight and super strength legacies.
Ask me how I defend myself from this brute Threin. With meer half blood Loric strength and stamina. Nothing else.
Yes. Apparently I have never developed any Legacies YET but I don't think I'll ever have one. Maybe because I'm illegitimate and because Lorien is perfect, they don't tolerate imperfections like me so I don't get a "gift".
I'm heading to my class now. Oh yea, I'm back in school again. But not the normal school you'd think it would be.
Actually it's a gym. I was enrolled by Mom to Judo class this time. I was six when Mom started enrolling me to martial arts classes. I've been to Karate class for about 3 years. In every class I join in, I try to look weak so I won't get any attention.
Mom admits that she is not good at hand to hand combats. So she made me enroll into them. I'm just there for the lessons though. Nothing more. All I have to do is memorize the techniques so that I could teach them to Threin after every lesson.
After what happened to Threin in the incident, Mom thought that he should learn how to defend himself in case Meelek gives us a visit and he hasn't developed any Legacies yet. At first I though it was exciting because that day is also the start of our first sparing. It turned out ugly though,when I was beaten down like a punching bag.
But I'm getting used to being beaten. Or maybe it's because of the "Medication".
I'd rather call it "Experimentation" but "Medication" seemed to be more relieving. I don't know. One time in our trainings, I got the chance to punch Threin on the face. I hit him so hard that his lower lip bled non stop. After seeing his blood, he panicked and fainted. Our initial assessment is that he has a "blood phobia" not until another training with which my kick met his gut, did we learn that he can only tolerate certain amount of pain.
He says that his mind seems to amplify the intensity of the pain he's receiving when it knows he had a fatal blow. It's strange. But we cannot escape the reality that Meelek can inflict more pain than I could ever give him if he is to face him in a fight.
So Mom decided that he'll have to forget how to feel pain. She asked me to try out some herbal solutions and potions made here and in Lorien every now and then to test it's effectiveness. All of them show no results on me and therefore no further results is expected to occur to Threin, so he never took any of them.
Since none of the "home remedies" worked, Mom made me drink "Meds" especially made for this "Pain Problem". After I few weeks of taking them, I grew thin and pale. It never caused me anything good. The only effect we got were side effects, which is vomiting blood. We gave up on it and tried steroids.
I've been taking it for quite sometime now. It was supposed to boost my immunity to pain, but as I see it, it is more of an appetite booster than pain reliever. I get hungry every hour and I'm gaining some weight.
Well I don't care. I know it's for the better. Mom knows best. I'd give my life for Threin coz it's the same as giving my life for Lorien. It makes me feel like I'm a hero.
Well at least I helped Threin. That's what I've always wanted. Help him. Save him (although the Saving part should probably come later. Or maybe not). Because I'm tired of being the one who needed help. So I don't mind being forced to enroll into Karate, Taekwondo, Jujitsu and this Judo stuffs if these will help Threin to protect himself. And being a subject of the Medication if this implies I'm helping Lorien.
Shortly after Taekwondo lessons, Threin learned how to fly. We were sparing that time when he tried to jump at me but ended up banging his head on a trunk of a tree. Since then, Mom told me that the martial arts class will be for my own benefit.
Yeah right, because I think I won't be able to develop a single Legacy.
So much for a half blood, but it's okay. I don't wanna get beaten up without a fight after all. Well, if I can't beat Threin in a sparing, at least I can look cool with some kungfu moves.
But now I'm starting to get bored in Judo. It's kind of pathetic with all the wrestling and throwing. Say for example, I'd successfully gave Threin an arm lock or a wrestle. Considering his strength, he can reverse the act to mine without a sweat.
This is stupid. And it gets boring when I can't find any use of it. There was this one time when I threw my 28-year old senior six feet above the ground out of my boredom. I try not to do it again lest they see my real strength. But I feel like doing it again today.
I just wanna drop this class and just go to Mang Tony's place and practice the violin. I've been studying under him for quite some time now. He was like my Cephan in music, in combat and in life. He's been like a father to me especially when the rest of my "family" members are in Lorien (I don't count my real father as a part of our family because he never was and he never will be in case he decides to come back). Mang Tony teaches me how I could transform a brute energy released back to it's producer. I always use it to Threin and it always works. Mang Tony says that brute fighters rely on their strength alone but strong warriors uses both his and the opponents energy to win a fight.
The only problem is that this is not Sparta. Threin can fly and I can't do anything whenever he floats. That's the reason why he always wins.
Oh God, I don't wanna go to Judo. I don't wanna go. I don't wanna...
Alright, I won't go anymore. I'll just visit Mang Tony and hopefully, Jean is there too for her music lessons. And I hope she still remembers my birthday.
In my dreams.