9 Months, 333 Days, 7992 Hours

Start from the beginning

Exhausted, Lily made her way back to the living room, where, to her surprise, James was waiting with a huge plate of chocolate, a worried expression on his face. "Lils? Are you ok? I know you usually like to eat chocolate when you get cramps, so I thought you might need some now. Especially with the amount that's coming back out…"

Lily gave him a feeble smile, feeling extremely fortunate that she had such a caring husband, and all feelings of anger ebbing away. With her head on his shoulder, Lily nibbled quietly at the chocolate, feeling slightly happier than before. It was little things like this that Lily loved about James. Sure, he could still be a little too cocky sometimes, but he was usually very caring and sweet, and she knew that he would always be with her, no matter what.

_

Third Month

By the third month, Lily was now somewhat accustomed to the morning sickness; there was nothing she could do about it, really. The healer had told Lily on her last check up that the morning sickness would gradually disappear, so that was something to look forward to.

James sighed. He just couldn't deal with Lily's mood swings; he would never know if she was going to start screaming at him or suddenly burst into tears. You'd think that all the years of rejection at Hogwarts would've taught him that patience was the key with Lily; after all, it did take him seven years to convince her to give him a chance. That was different though, thought James. She wasn't so emotional back then. At least, not like she was now, laughing at something he said, then the next minute sobbing over the fact that their baby was going to be born during the war, and then being miserable because she and Petunia still weren't talking, and she didn't know when she would be able to see her sister again.

The mood swings seemed to worsen every month, as did the feelings of exhaustion. Lily didn't think it was anything to do with the stress from work, though being an auror was a very demanding job. Despite the fact that he couldn't cope with her mood swings, James actually put up with Lily's food cravings quite well, though that might've been the fact that he could just transfigure something from the fridge into whatever she happened to feel like eating at the moment. And the food cravings were quite bizarre, James had to admit. Just a few days ago, Lily had woken James up in the middle of the night, demanding some of the rock cakes that Hagrid used to make…

"R…rock cakes? As in Hagrid's rock cakes? Lils are you sure?" asked James nervously. Hagrid's rock cakes were infamous for being rock cakes in the literal sense, and he didn't want Lily's teeth to be all chipped because of some weird food craving.

"Yes James, I'm sure", said Lily. "I want one now, so you better go find one!" Reluctantly, James climbed out of bed slowly, in case she suddenly changed her mind again. It wouldn't be the first time something like that had happened.

"Hurry up James, you don't want to upset a pregnant woman, I'm sure." Said Lily exasperatedly, poking James with her wand. "You know I'll hex you if I have to, if that's what it takes to get what I want. And you're not just doing it for me; it's for our baby too."

Half asleep, James made his way down to the kitchen to find something he could transfigure into Hagrid's rock cake. He probably could've actually asked Hagrid for some, but he didn't want to end up with a whole sack of cakes, knowing Hagrid's generosity. And plus, no one was actually going to eat those rock cakes, were they? Suddenly, James remembered a charm he had learnt to make objects go soft. He'd never tried it on food before though, but better to have a go than have Lily's teeth breaking. "Madidus" he said, pointing his wand at the broccoli he had just transfigured into Hagrid's rock cake. Gingerly, he prodded the cake with his wand, and to his delight, found that it was now the softness of a normal cake.