ꜱɪx

The panic didn't set in until the screaming started. The water continued to ripple throughout the canal, sending boats from the middle of the waterway down far enough to jump the shore. Such was the case with a small gondola Ned and Betty had been traveling down the river on. Me and Peter split apart as the boat came up onto shore, with the two of us helping them out and trying to usher them away. Ned stopped between the two of us, looking between us both.

"What are you guys gonna do?"
"I don't know, Ned. Just...get everyone away from here so nobody gets hurt." I held my necklace in my hands, trying to judge if I should break the rule I set for myself or just run away. I knew there was no way I was going to walk away from this fight and let people get hurt, but there was too big of a likelihood of someone from my class seeing me fight it.

Peter dragged me away around the corner of a nearby building, trying to keep the two of us out of sight.

"I'm going to run on the assumption that you didn't bring your suit?" Peter shook his head. "What are we going to do?"
"Get as many people away from the water as we can and fight this thing without being seen. We can't let it tear the city apart."
"Someone is bound to see us."
"We'll have to cross that bridge when we come to it then. All we can do right now is try to keep it away from as many people as possible."
"I can't use my suit, people will definitely recognize it." There was a moment of panic and desperation between the two of us, with Peter finally just taking my face between his hands and forcing me to look at him.
"I don't think there's any getting out of this one. All we have to do is hope."

I took a minute to breath, looking back at the giant figure. With every minute I wasted worrying, more people would end up dead. Risking my identity was worth the lives that would be saved.

"Okay. What's the plan?" Peter smiled.
"That's my girl. I'll get everyone out of here, you try to hold big guy off. If he has an energy signature, no matter how big, that means he can be taken down."
"Be careful."
"Always."

Peter ran off around the corner, running down the side area of the canals, while I intended to head the other way to at least get my goggles over the top part of my face to diminish my likelihood of being seen. Just as I was about to lower the goggles, a door down the canals from me slammed open, MJ's figure rushing through moments later. I ran towards her and was greeted by her frantic movements.

"Y/N, what's going on?"
"I don't know, but you have to get out of here." I tried to push her with the others that were running away, but she wouldn't move.
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm just going to help get people out of here. Now go, before you get hurt." MJ hesitated, looking at me with her head cocked to the side and narrowed eyes. She seemed like she was going to say something, but stopped when another wave crashed onto shore. She just gave me another look and ran, and once she was out of sight, the goggles came down quickly.

I couldn't risk anyone seeing me in my suit, but if I tried to fight this thing without some sort of support I was likely to fry my nervous system to a crisp. I settled for just wearing the bracers and boots of my suit for the support in the areas where I needed it most, but covered up the rest of my body with a discarded black jacket. After puffing the hood up to cover my hair, I leapt into the air and set off towards the water monster.

In my hesitation, he had almost leveled an entire area of buildings around the edge of the canal, and was preparing to send rubble flying in every direction. I knew I wasn't going to be able to do much, but the best plan of attack seemed to be distracting it until Peter could get everyone to safety. I rushed forwards with a burst of energy, coming right up in front of it's gigantic head to try to grab its attention.

"Hey, Big Ugly!" The monster seemed to stop and look at me, despite not having any eyes to do so. "It's really not nice to destroy someone's home."
I barely made it out of the way before it swung it's large arm at me, although it moved slow enough that it was easy to dodge.
"Alright, I guess we're doing this the hard way."