he winced. "sounds very painful."

"it is what it is. gotta feel pain before you feel beauty, i guess," she said. "what about you and work? anything out of the ordinary?"

"honesty, i see more words on a piece of paper every day then there are words in the encyclopaedia so," he shrugged, "it is what it is, as you say."

she did a bread smile and their drinks were served a second later.

"i'n going to go out next friday with my friends, is that okay with you?"

she laughed. "why does it look like you're asking me for permission when it should be the other way around?"

"i'm just asking..." he trailed off.

"it's fine with me. i'll probably stay home the whole evening so if you stumble your way through the door, i can help you up the stairs this time so you don't sleep on the floor again," she recalled.

"thank you."

the relationship she had with her uncle was more of a best friend sort of thing than a parent. of course, he still was her only parental figure but he didn't want to bring himself to have the "father-daughter" relationship with her because he was aware he wasn't her biological father and he didn't have intentions to become a parent when he did. hyerin didn't have any complaints with his method of bringing her up but it's not like she knew any other.

"i saw donghyuck on my way home a few days ago."

her body stiffened.

her uncle noticed and stopped. "is this a sensitive topic for you?"

"no," she mumbled, picking up some uramaki. "continue."

"yeah, i saw him walking with a younger girl in uniform. i think it was his sister, i'm not sure since i don't know what she looks like but she resembled him a lot. he looked sad."

she scoffed.

"you guys still aren't friends, i see."

"and i don't think that'll change."

he hummed. "well, that's up to you. if you want things to change you have to do something a little differently to get a different reaction than usual."

"i didn't say i wanted to change our relationship." she shook her head.

"but i can tell you do."

"what gives?"

he shrugged his shoulders with a smile. "just a sensation."

"well, our geography teacher put us as partners for a long group project last week," she explained. "we're doing the work separately because he can't even look at me so, given that, i don't think our relationship will change any time soon."

"you should talk to him."

"he's not going to listen to me. besides, all i get from him is constant words of abuse so i don't need to hear that more often than i already do," she spoke.

he raised a brow. "do you want me to talk to him?"

"no, i can handle him. i know what he's like."