A Pinch of Love and a Slice of Life

Start from the beginning

"No Tai, I'll manage,"

"No, no, don't do that. Just go to your room, lie down a bit and relax."

"Will that be okay? She can at least stretch her back." Raq asked, earnestly. They didn't want anyone to get upset.

"Of course! Come, take the ointment from me. Go and apply it on her back."

Shamita went up to her mom to inform her that she would be back soon when Raq came with Volini gel in his hand.

"Come, baby!" he said and led her out of the living room, holding her hand. The two smiled at each other. Mission accomplished! They needed to get away, and finally, they did.

Once in their room, Shamita coiled her arms around Raqesh's neck and kissed him on the corner of his lips. "Thank you, baby! I love you."

"Awwww

"Awwww. Aaja mera baby, aaja mera baby!" he pulled her cheeks. "So cute you look, my baygo! I just couldn't take my eyes off you."

"Awwww!" Shamita murmured. Those chiselled cheekbones and melty eyes turned her into butter ever so often. She found them completely irresistible. She wrapped her arms around Raq's torso, placed her head on his chest and gave him a squishy hug. 'Peace, at last,' she thought.

His eyes held hers. She could feel the heat sinking into her belly. Shamita grew warm under Raq's tender gaze and found her feet turning to jelly. Why, oh why, even after more than a year of being in a secure relationship, she wondered how he still had that effect on her.

Raqesh's eyes left Shamita's face very briefly as he walked towards the bed, pulling her along.

Shamita lay down on the bed and gently closed her eye. This was pure bliss! To love and to be loved so intensely and passionately. "Baby, chalo! Ab jaldi karo," she said in her cutest baby voice.

"Thamba baby, thamba. Not so fast. Go slow! We have ten minutes. Why so eager?" Raqesh purred, sexily.

Shamita's cute baby voice disappeared. A slightly annoyed Shamz looked at Raq instead. "Seriously, darling! Everyone is waiting. You've got to do it fast."

"Shamita, first let me lie down, na!"

"Why do you need to lie down? Can't you stand and do it. Or just bend over a little."

"Someone is in a naughty mood today, chumma you are," Raq whispered, biting his lower lip seductively. "Why didn't I see this steamy side earlier? I wouldn't have waited for a year and a half to get married. By the way, love it!"

Shamita got up with a start. "Hold on! Hold on! What are you thinking?"

Raq was alarmed, "What's wrong with you? We came here to catch a moment TOGETHER, didn't we?"

"No! We came here so you could apply the pain ointment to my back." Shamita realised what was happening and burst into her trademark loud laughter. "Yes, I wanted to get away from everyone too. Now really, Bapat, you are impossible. You really think that we have time for a quickie in the middle of chaos?"

"My darling, don't you remember, I have mastered the art of finding calm in chaos," Raqesh jumped on top of Shamita and rained a shower of kisses, chuckling when he understood the confusion.

"My saree, my saree, careful Raqu!"

When she tried pulling herself away, Raq used his strength to pull her closer until her chest pressed into him. He tightened the grip of his hands on her. Shamita tried wriggling out, but her saree, her husband and even her little heart made her surrender eventually.

"By the way, you are taking this calming thing too far," Shamita rubbed Raqesh's chin lovingly. "And for your kind information, logistically also, I don't think we could have achieved what you set out to, Mr Bapat?" Shamita pointed towards her nine-yard navvari.

"Point taken, Mrs Bapat!" They laughed.

Finally, Shamita lay flat on her back, stretching it a bit. Raqesh nestled his head into the crook of her arm and placed his arm on her belly. Both of them lay together, laughing and cuddling for a couple of minutes. They would have easily fallen asleep in each other's arms, but reluctantly, Raqesh stirred out of bed at Shamita's behest. He applied the ointment to her back and gave her a strong and soothing massage that also calmed her muscles and nerves. She felt the strength of both his desire and care too.

----------

Shamita smoothened her saree, brushed her hair and retouched her lipstick, while Raqesh looked at her and sighed. "Has anyone ever told you, Shamita Shetty Bapat, that you are a big killjoy?" he lamented.

"Many," she smiled as she flicked her hair. But before he could react, she said, "But right now, hope you know my biggest killjoy is puran poli," she seemed jittery.

Tai called a second later. "Are you guys coming down? The lunch is ready. Also, Raqa do you think Shamita is in the condition to make puran poli? Everyone is asking. I never knew her puran poli would be so much in demand. But it's fine; we can do it later one of these days."

"No, no, Tai. Shamz is fine." And so, the two not-so-happy lovebirds walked down hand-in-hand, ready to take on the 2-P challenge—people and puran poli.

-----

Lunch was a lavish all-Maharashtrian affair, mainly vegetarian due to the puja. The snacks included the famous Puneri missal, pav bhaji, kothimbir vada, sabudana vada that Shamita loved, batata vada, sabudana pappad, besides others. The main course was a splash of flavours with three different varieties of rice served with the spicy instant pickle thecha, made with green chilies and garlic; chutneys; mango pickle and koshimbir, a yoghurt salad with finely chopped cucumber, onion, tomato and green chillies.

The cooks were rolling out fresh, piping hot bhakris, thalipeeth, puris and chapatis. These were being served with a range of fresh vegetables cooked the Mahastrian style. The bhaajis included bharli vangi (stuffed brinjal), batatachi bhaaji (potato vegetable), flower rassa (cauliflower gravy), bhendi fry (ladyfinger) and more. There was also pithla and kadhi, both made with besan flour and two-three varieties of amti (dal), to name a few.

For sweet endings, there were traditional sweets like laadoo, shrikhand, basundi, aamras, on the table. However, the star of the sweets were the steamed ukadiche modaks that Aai had made herself, just because Shamita was so fond of them.

The friendly banter with friends and family continued as they sat down to eat. The newlyweds were asked to share the same plate and Shamita ended up feeding Raqesh his entire lunch. But the hot topic of discussion undoubtedly was puran poli. Correction ... Shamita's puran poli.

Looking forward to your feedback. Please help me better my skills by giving your honest feedback. Let me know which parts you liked and the ones you spiked. I love the bouquets but appreciate the brickbats too. Keep them coming!

And with all that's going on, please blow a little prayer in the air for our lovebirds and pass on all positive vibes to them.