5. MY REOCCURING PHANTASM

Start from the beginning

          David lets out a small chuckle when he notices me start eating the toast. I chew tiny bites slowly, letting the time tick by even slower. I've finished my toast by the time I should leave for school.

          "I should get going." I say scraping the leftovers in the trashcan swiftly while Aunt Steph's head was turned which earned me another quiet laughter from David which he played off with a cough.

          "Do you want a ride I should be going too," David says. I just realized that he was wearing a collared t-shirt and a pair of jeans, nothing too fancy which makes me wonder if he's in college. He has to be in his late twenties or early thirties since he's dating aunt steph.

          "That's a wonderful idea," Aunt steph says hope filling her eyes.

          "Sure." I say not trying to hide my objectiveness but they both seem oblivious when they bid their goodbyes.

          "Where do you go to school at?" He asks once we're buckled in his car.

          "Lincoln High School." I reply while he looks surprised I'm not in college. Since I'm tall I probably look like I'm in my early twenties.

          "How old are you?"

          "Seventeen, turning eighteen in September," I answer nervous from his personal question.

          "Oh, you look like you should be nineteen."

          "Uh... thanks." I say unsure.

          "What made you move to a new state in late April?" He asks being straightforward.

          "Let's just say the people in Florida were a little... harsh with judgment."

          Before he can ask further questions he is parked in front of my school, the sound of chatty teenagers fills the cars silence when I open the car door.

          "What time do you want me to pick you up?" he asks.

          "I have a friend coming over later so I might get a ride. If I don't I'll call you." I say reaching for my bag.

          Before I get out I can't help but be nice, "Thanks for the ride."

          "Your welcome," he says giving me an awkward one-armed hug that makes me become raw under his touch. "Have a good day," He smiles

          "You too," I say then quickly scramble out of his car.

          The whole time I was in calculus Reily didn't even glance at me opposed to the rest of the school. They were gawking at me worse than the first day of school.